Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hits on a port

The only thing that I can see that might possibly have caused this was an outbond UDP off of my port 137. This was right after my router IP let in a inbounf UDP to port 1027.

But I also see that there were two other instances of inbound UDP to port 1026 and 1027. These were the first ones that were logged after installing the log viewer software. If it was doing it before than I have no idea.

Should I install zone alarm or some kind of firewall software. I am running XP SP2 and running the Windows firewall.

As far as what is being let inbound, I don't know. I guess that this is my fault because I haven't yet learned how to set up the router to let what ports get through and which ones don't get through. But that is the only outbound UDP I see.

I hope this helps. I can download points where the input and output was.

Anyone who tells you they aren't is a lying Bastige......
    At least you reach a point where the "critical" mistakes are less likely. But learn we must. Technology and inovation evolve exponentially.

I have contemplated blocking the entire asian IP block. Many many times.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    If you left the router, (what make and model is that by the way?), in it's default configuration you should be just fine....

If you messed with it there a way to reset it to factory default.... Read the little "booky" thing that came with it and reset it.... You'll be peachy...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

OK. I think I got it.

I was using a text program that I had setup with an included FTP client that I could use to log into my web site and work on files. The firewall had given it access. I removed the program from the firewall.

Now my router is blocking the incoming UDP to my ports again. I am HOPING that this is what was the problem. I shall have to monitor the log a bit and see. I do see that the china guy tried to probe that port agin, and was blocked. So hopefully that is done with.

Could a program such as this open the FTP port and leave it wide open like that? Even when I am not using it?

And is there a way to see this in action, or look at a log to see what happened?

Thanks for the help. I come here all the time and read almost everthing that I can. Great site!

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    No, ftp is a service on machines running it and just a utility for everyone else. Service runs on port 21, opening an ftp connection will pick a port anywhere above 1024 and netstat -a will show all connections.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.