Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sir Bill Gates...a Knighthood ?

Sir Bill Gates...a Knighthood ?

What is this...he's not even British...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3428673.stm

from one multi-millionaire to a multi-billionaire...guess one hand washes the other...what's next...pope ?...supreme ruler of mankind ?

I thought it was sad when McCartney and Jagger got Knighthoods...at least Lennon had a World Peace agenda.

********** |ceWriterguy
    When you're rich enough to buy a country, it's only fitting said country should honour you.

Besides, Her Majesty needs some good press - we've heard nothing of late other than the foofaraw surrounding Chuckie and his bride.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Sir Bill Gates...a Knighthood ?

Originally posted here by Egaladeist
    What is this...he's not even British...
    So what. Considering the arseholes who get honours for totally ridiculous reasons, good luck to him. But I'm sure the vast majority could'nt care less. Hopefully Bill will be Bill, and not let the gong change him
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Hopefully Bill will be Bill, and not let the gong change him
    No...let's hope it does change him...I don't applaud his charity work at all...tax breaks for the rich and infamous...it doesn't take charity to give from your excess...charity comes from the poor who give from their need.
    Nobody needs that much money...he's a greedy parasite who got rich off of the back of other people's ideas and efforts.
    Hey...I've got 50 billion dollars...I know what I'll do...I've give a bunch of CD"S to charity and not even charge them full price ( you thought they were free ? )...put a few million here and there...take a few free photo ops of my generousity...write it off on my taxes...and the world will love me and give me medals and titles...gee...ain't I special.

Hopefully he will one day realize he can make a change. Take Carnegie, he built beutiful libraries all across the nation in small towns that could not afford them.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I hope you're right RoadClosed,

Carnegie is a good example of when the filthy rich realize that they can't take it with them, and the only thing people will ever remember after you're gone is what you did while you were here.

Personally, I have nothing against the rich...but if you've got more than what you can comfortably spend in three lifetimes...let's say 300,000,000 dollars...everything beyond that should start to filter down to the people who put you there.
    Gates could filter 40 billion dollars down to his employees, staff, people he stole from, and his customers in the way of rebates...and still have over 10 billion dollars left over.

Eg

Yes he could, he has more wealth then entire global corporations.

//EDIT .... and he's not up there alone, there are close contenders.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Look here, the financials are impressive.

Here is a more personal view of his giving.....

First place on the 2004 list goes to Bill and Melinda Gates, with a total $3.4 billion pledged to their eponymous foundation, of which $627 million was paid out,” Slate.com reports. “The Gates pledge sets a new record of committed generosity, topping even last year's $1.91 billion bequest by McDonald's heiress Joan Kroc.
    You people just can't stop whining about other's success can you? If you are clever enough to make a company the size of M$ do so.... If you have the drive and the work ethic and the stamina to do it..... If you don't, STFU, and keep working for "the man" like the rest of us that lack the ambition to be working 20 hours a day every day. I don't hear you whining about all the money Ted Kennedy has, none of which he worked for.... Or John Kerry, none of which he worked for...etc. etc. etc.... Yeah, just the "evil" Bill Gates.... Sometimes you whiners are just pathetic.....

Get off your arse and do something or shut up about those that did!!!!!!!

Gates could filter 40 billion dollars down to his employees, staff, people he stole from, and his customers in the way of rebates...and still have over 10 billion dollars left over.
    He can't... dummy..... It's all tied up in M$ stock... If he sells it he loses control of the company.... That would be counterproductive really wouldn't it? 'Cos then he'd have no employees to give the money to.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

He can't... dummy..... It's all tied up in M$ stock... If he sells it he loses control of the company.... That would be counterproductive really wouldn't it? 'Cos then he'd have no employees to give the money to...
    To me that would be very productive...to step down and give someone else a chance to step up...you hear about these people winning big lotteries who say they're going to keep their job...step down and let someone else who needs it would be the practical thing to do.
    As far as your " dummy " comments go...I thought you were smarter than that...I guess I was wrong.

And who's whining ? I believe in a fair allocation of wealth ... that's not whining... that's called fair distribution. Are you claiming that the people who work for him deserve it less? Without them he wouldn't have any money.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Egal:

In Bill gates position... Would you "step down"?

Of course not.... It's 30+ years of your life....

It's easy to sit and bitch about the success of others as if it simply dropped into their lap.... It didn't... really.... they worked their ass off for it. But you want them to drop it and give everything away......

Tell you what... Take your _entire_ worth... Everything you own, everything you ever worked for, do the math and take 80% of it and send it to charity.... any charity, your choice! You won't will you? Because there is a lifestyle issue isn't there.... If you did it, you'd have to change your lifestyle and you aren't prepared to do it..... Bill Gates is in the same situation you are.....

As to calling you a dummy..... You talk like BG's money is cash money... That's so naive.... If BG has $1M cash lying around I would be _very_ surprised... That's why I called you a dummy... because he's no different than you except in magnitude. You have some cash... He has some cash.... His pile is bigger... whoppee ****.... His bills are bigger too!!!! C'mon, think....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides