Network Security Laptop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Network Security Laptop

Network Security Laptop

Hey Guys and Gals,
    I am trying toset up my laptop to be a mobile network security/monitoring tool. Im loading it with network discovery tools, password crackers (just in case i need to do that), wireless wep crackers (for my clients who forget their WEPs) a sniffer to track chaotic traffic from virii and adware, etc. and pretty much any other tools that may prove useful in one way or another either in testing for security of webpages, nodes ona network, or just about anything related to computer security.

So far I have installed:

Solarwinds enterprise edition
    nmap
    SamSpade
    Ethereal
    Sniffer
    MIB network inspector
    Network Stumbler
    Getif
    Cain
    Brutus
    IP Network Browser
    LanPortScan
    SuperScan4
    and downloaded a bunch of wordlists for dictionary attacks as well as common username lists.

any suggestions on what else I should add. Im looking for some more wireless tools. I think Im going to mess with airsnort or wepcrack. I also want to take a look at linkferret. HAs anyone had some decent experience with these tools. I need something that it reliable becasue although speed is an issue, Id rather it work correctly. (hehe i get paid by the hour for mostof my work, so im not in a rush, lol)

EDIT**
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is a win2k laptop, freeware is perferred, but if the software is really good, and comes with high recomendations I could probably get my boss to pick up a copy, or atleast get the trial.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Hey,

Nice idea that laptop.

I always found the tools like Dameware or Hyena very handy to have , easy to connect to servers and remotely check the processes running (and being able to kill them if you cannot connect to the server for some reason) or start a service which isn't running anymore without connecting to the server.
    Offcourse it always installs some files to the server so you have to consider that.

The other tools you mention (airsnort and wepcrack) I don't have experience with so can't help you there.

Also a tool I like to use is ZOC , I like it because it gives you nice SSH , TN3270 , multiple sessions , logging and scripting possibilties.

There are probably more tools which I use but can't see which ones right now ..will post them if I find them useable.

/Edit ..This tool is also very nice : LC 5 , very good to recover passwords /Edit

Hope this is helpfull,

Greetz,
    C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

I'd check out GFI Languard.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

I forgot to mention that this is a win2k laptop
    No need to mention it, we could tell because you are missing the good linux tools.

crazy - I was looking at laptops yesterday for the exact same reason. No one sells any without the windows OS around here. But I guess for maximum flexibility in a portable fashion a dual booting system would be useful.

Definitely add airsnort and download some howto's for each and store them offline in case you are dealing with a DoS situation and can't get web access. Also keep a copy on CD so you can install them on machines as needed.

I would stick a hex editor on there and a good freeware calculator.

West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    No need to mention it, we could tell because you are missing the good linux tools.
    <snip>
    No doubt... don't you mean freeware subnet-calculator?

You know what i prefer to do? I leave the last portion of the drive formatted in FAT32, and I keep a few live linux cd's with me. Helix, Ultimate Boot CD w/ Insert, NST, etc. Why be constrained by windows? Have the best of both. The live cd OS's may not run as fast off the CD as they would off the drive, but I figure the point of a notebook security system is portability, not speed or power.

/edit/
    Sorry...the REASON i leave the last portion FAT32 is it gives me a place to easily write files and data to, if I've booted one of the live cd's. I know NTFS support has come a long way in Linux, but it can still be problematic depending on the distro, and FAT32 is easy.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

don't you mean freeware subnet-calculator
    You got it.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

NmapWin can also come in handy for port scanning. Moreover its free.
    http://nmapwin.sourceforge.net/

Also you can get some freeware tools from Foundstone labs.

-Joseph

Originally posted here by RoadClosed

crazy - I was looking at laptops yesterday for the exact same reason. No one sells any without the windows OS around here. But I guess for maximum flexibility in a portable fashion a dual booting system would be useful.

Definitely add airsnort and download some howto's for each and store them offline in case you are dealing with a DoS situation and can't get web access. Also keep a copy on CD so you can install them on machines as needed.

Das Walmart Super Cwappy Linux/Lindpire Laptop

to OP: aren't some of the tools just duplcating features/functionality/information gathering for you?

...I'd download the Knoppix-STD .iso and burn the cd so I'd have some linux options.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Originally posted here by brokencrow
    ...I'd download the Knoppix-STD .iso and burn the cd so I'd have some linux options.

They are similar but Auditor
    is a good one to have as well.

SGS