Mantraps: Security door blocks portly police

Thread: Mantraps: Security door blocks portly police

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Redondo Beach, CA

Mantraps: Security door blocks portly police

Sometimes physical security can have "drawbacks". Who would have through this would be an issue? Perhaps visits to the donut shop should be put on hold for a bit or a new, "wider" model be made available?

Source: CNN

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- Portly Swedish police have a new reason to work out thanks to a new security entrance at the National Police headquarters that won't let them in if they weigh too much.

A construction error in the recently remodeled security entrance, which has a built-in scale designed to only let one person at a time pass through the door, has caused some embarrassing moments for officers who may not have spent enough time exercising.

Those weighing more than 230 pounds (105 kilograms) who try to pass through the entrance are greeted by a recorded voice telling them: "Stop! One at a time!" and are not let through, police spokeswoman Linda Widmark said.

She said the scale is supposed to be adjustable to let people weighing up to 160 kilograms (350 pounds) pass through, but an apparent construction error is playing tricks on those with ample girth.

"We'll have to get that fixed," Widmark said. "We've got some big strong men around here."

The security entrance is mainly for visitors and police denied entrance can use other doors.

"There are other options for them," she said.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

"Stop! One at a time!"
    ROFL. Some american cops would get the same alert even they raise to the maximum number...
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

BUAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAAAA that made my day. I am a big guy and weigh more then 230 lbs (but im also 6'3) so I wouldnt be let in, but still. that cracks me up.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

lol...that's rich.

So to defeat it all you need is 2 skinny people weighing less than 350 (230 right now) pounds....and they would need to step into it at same time to avoid other detection mechanisms.

Really the device is to account for ingress and egress I suspect and not to keep unauthorized people out.

Thanks for the laugh msm.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    3rd Rock from Sun
    "We'll have to get that fixed," Widmark said. "We've got some big strong men around here."
    Damn ........ at that rate, I'm Hercules
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone