Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mitnick Two-Day Seminar: Sleeping with the Enemy

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Hehe...
    Eligibility for an internationally-recognized SE Prevention Certification.
    Recognized by who?!?

http://cf.us.biz.yahoo.com/cnw/05022...s_in_to_1.html

But he's got Yahoo convinced. Hell, he hasn't changed his tactics at all...he's changed his marks and his method, but it's the same game. LMAO!
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Yes, it seems like he is still out to get all the money he can, but now in a more legal way...

Certified social engineering professional??? I mean come on!!

I hope everyone sees through this little 'scam' of his... yes, I consider it a scam, a legal scam that takes advantage of stupid people...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Its funny, I hear people on here use the phrase "social engineering" on a daily basis, yet people seem skeptical that the man who actually coined the phrase is competent to speak about it.
    Pop Quiz: K. Mitnick invented the term social engineering and is probably one of the best con artists ever, so if he's not qualified to offer a certification for SE prevention, who is?

-Maestr0

PS. Man has to make a living somehow, and as authors say "write what you know."
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Pop Quiz: K. Mitnick invented the term social engineering and is probably one of the best con artists ever, so if he's not qualified to offer a certification for SE prevention, who is?
    Uh.. I don't think so. He might have been the first to introduce it to computers, he wasn't the first to use it. Its historically been found in politics and sociology.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    If the world's most renowned former hacker comes to the conclusion that social engineering is the most potent threat your company faces today, it probably makes sense to pay attention.
    Well yeah, isn't that the only area of computer security he is currently legally allowed to work in? So of course it is the most important in his opinion.

Even if not, he's been so outta the loops for so long now it is the only area of skill he could have held on to. (His difficulties using Lockdown.exe spring to mind.)

cheers,

catch

This may to paranoid, even for this forum

But, are we sure this is legitimate at all? It would be very funny if the whole seminar was nothing more than a bunch of losers who are trying to "social engineer" security professionals out of their money by offering a bogus social engineering convention / certification.

You show up at the place, just to have someone say "You've been social engineered out of $2000. Don't let it happen again. Next!"

Of course, he might have some good insights on how to avoid "Bubba" in the showers in prison after you get caught trying to social engineer a Judge... :O
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

Kevin the Hacker

I had no idea who you guys were talking about so I looked it up...can't tell you how accurate this is...and it tends to seem bias...but here it is anyways...

The History of K. ...from youth to prisonment...

http://www.tomandmaria.com/st297/Rea...%20esquire.htm

Eg