Thread: SIMP Pro 2.20 released

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

SIMP Pro 2.20 released

For those who haven't learned about SIMP (Secway's IM Encryption tool) you may want to check it out. They did update their Pro version to 2.20, which includes more supported IMs including GAIM, Trillian and a few others. They've also made the install GUI a little more user friendly (less screens). I've been using it successfully with friends to keep IM messages private for a couple of years now (initially on their lite version -- which is single IM client only -- and recently coughed up the $25 for the Pro version).

Anyways, FYI for anyone using the Pro version.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

How DO you do it, MsMittens? Just when we are looking at ways to secure IM so that we can make it a better communication/collaboration tool, up you come with a note and a link that is just the thing!!!

Yer incredible, lady! Thanks.

Originally posted here by rapier57
    How DO you do it, MsMittens? Just when we are looking at ways to secure IM so that we can make it a better communication/collaboration tool, up you come with a note and a link that is just the thing!!!

Yer incredible, lady! Thanks.

Have you checked you office for 'bugs' lately rapier57?

Cheers:
    DjM

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    LOL... no bugs, unless they're spiders. I actually just wrote an article for JUPM on IM usage in the enterprise environment (I use Jabber here at my new job). That said, the issue with SIMP is that both ends need to have it installed for the encryption to occur. If you are using IM within a work environment (within a LAN/intranet) setup your own server(s) and monitor/audit it that way (one of the issues that some companies have -- particularly with SOX -- is the ability to audit/log/track activity).

Secway does have a Linux server product if you run your own IM server. I haven't had a chance to investigate that one but given how nicely that SIMP is, I bet it's probably good as well.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage