Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WinXP Home SAM damaged?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    There is no default admin account when I log into safe mode.... It comes up with Owner again.... But Owner is a restricted account.... I just had a thought - it's an ownership issue - but I have dismissed it because of the permissions I found the Owner did have.... They are accurate per a limited account.

Rather than speculate could someone do me a favor and go here, d/l and make the floppy and then take a look into the SAM on WinXP Home and tell me what you see....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

********** |ceWriterguy
    TS if ya do the drive slave thing later, let us know how it turns out please? Kinda curious if this is a viable workaround.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

TS,

This seems to have alot of information regarding SAM...I thought it might be useful to spark some ideas...

http://neworder.box.sk/sam_index.php
    NewOrder - computer security and networking portal

Eg

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Download the Windows XP powertoys from Microsoft's site. The program contained within, TweakUI, let's you add the administrator to the XP Welcome Screen with the other users' icons.
    Don't know if that will help, I got that off another forum... Hope it does! ...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Regal Making Handler
    Rather than speculate could someone do me a favor and go here, d/l and make the floppy and then take a look into the SAM on WinXP Home and tell me what you see....
    Xp Home, one active account, guest account not active.

RID. 01f4 username: Administrator. *password*
    RID. 03ec username: Me
    RID. 01 fs username: guest. *password*
    RID. 03e8 username: Help Assistant *disabled or locked*
    RID. 03ea username: support_388945a0 *disabled or locked*
    RID. 03ef username: support_3f15ab9 *disabled or locked*
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

After you are done messing around with I am sure you know about windows Repair mode... NOT RESTORE. I have seen issues similar to this at several clients homes and never really took the time to investigate fully into it. I usually just pop in the xp home disk restart act like I am doing a normal install and it will say that a previous version of windows was detected and will ask if I want to repair it.. just say yes and it will go through and reinflate the cabs and do some other stuff then you just run through the setup again and all their data will still be there and all the windows files will be replaced so it should act "normal" again
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Regal Making Handler
    Just for interest attached is a copy of a SAM file from an xp home box. Grabbed using knoppix std.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Jinxy: Thanks man... I thought there were some others missing too but I never played with XP Home so i wasn't sure... I need to ask if they did any account deleting but I'm pretty sure they didn't, (well, I'm pretty sure she didn't).

Interesting too... all the passwords are blank..... More to look into...

Spyrus:

Yeah, I know but this one interests me since this is the second tim ein a couple of months this happened and it really shouldn't.... The only time I have ever been locked out of a Win2k+ box is when this dumbass forget the password he gave it... Thus, rather than just fixing it, I want to see if I can find the cause. I've warned them that it may take a week or more to determine the cause and then it might be inconclusive... They can live with that, they don't use it that often she says.
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Regal Making Handler
    Tiger,
    bare in mind, I have a Dell and one of the accounts listed is Dell help and support.
    Have you been able to get at the task manager to see what they have running? If not try pviewer from the server 2003 support tools. As you do not have to install it.

Jinx: I won't see the box till monday and it's a Gateway.... I'll update you all when I get back to it....

Thanks for all the thoughts so far... everyone....