Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D-Link Connectivity Issues

I ditched the D-Links that I had worked with. I just gave them away. The people I gave them to just threw them in the trash... Peice of crap IMO.

I have a decent wired router for my boarder router (Cisco Broadband Router 831) and use a belkin 54g router as just an access point.

At my girl's house... we have dsl and just had an older netgear router for the wired hosts... and used the neighbors wireless for the laptops...

I just got a Linksys wrt54g to install over there today. I've had no problems with it so far and there is a whole community building custom firmware for it. I loaded some custom firmware on it right out of box for a 14dBm gain without replacing the stock antennas. Plus... there are tons of cool features in the custom firmware.

Look up Sveasoft or OpenWRT.
    I have a small post about the Sveasoft firmware @
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=266513
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I would like to support the boycott of D-Link. Honestly, what a piece of crap. While I'm at it, I'd like to suggest similar action against G-Net. I have owned 2 routers in my life, and both of them were crap according to their own technical support people. In this day of unbelievable technological advances, why is it so hard to make a device as trivial as a router?

I guess I am not following why you guys are dissing on Dlink so bad. IMHO, you get what you pay for. I got one of their new wireless routers, with a built-in firewall/dhcp server (and a few other things) and it cost me all of 60 bucks. Does it reboot ? Sure it does, especially with my 2.4 GhZ wireless phone near it, but for freaking 60 bucks, who gives a hoot. Dunno...call me nuts for not expecting cisco performance out of a low dollar router....
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I guess you are of the opinion that $60 for a router is a small amount of money. For me, I guess a device made up of several cents in parts, and virutually no technology development costs (because it is a mature technology, and many others on the market) is a lot of money.
    A company that puts out a part that doesn't do what it is supposed to do (whatever the cost) deserves consumer action against it. Anyway, mine didn't have any reboot issues. I should be so lucky. Mine was simply a piece of crap which did nothing. For that I should pay nothing. And I don't have a 2.4 GHz phone. Call me old fashioned, but I have a 900 Mhz phone. Down with D-Link. And G-Net.

nebulus200: I see what you are saying. But... I've had a netgear and a linksys that have had no problems what so ever... and they are the "low end routers" too.

All I was saying is that I had better experience with different manufacturer.
    I've had nothing but bad experience with the hardware I've used from dlink.

I've called dlink's support and they weren't too helpful. "Update the firmware".
    OK, I update firmware. It fixes one issue but breaks two others.
    Then I have to decide which features were more important... and which firmware I should use.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    nebulus200: I see what you are saying. But... I've had a netgear and a linksys that have had no problems what so ever... and they are the "low end routers" too.

All I was saying is that I had better experience with different manufacturer.
    I've had nothing but bad experience with the hardware I've used from dlink.

I've called dlink's support and they weren't too helpful. "Update the firmware".
    OK, I update firmware. It fixes one issue but breaks two others.
    Then I have to decide which features were more important... and which firmware I should use.
    Know what you were saying, I never said I thought DLINK rocked, only that I never really expected much out of it to begin with so was not suprised when things weren't super smooth. I have spent time with their tech support (found a couple of remote DOS vulnerabilties) and it took a little time but I got their backline engineering line), and all i got to say is how things go varies widely on who answers the phone. I have also experienced issues with the latest firmware rev causing more issues than it was supposed to have fixed, but once again, my expectations were never high to begin with. Hopefully that more or less explains a little more of what I meant, I never 'expected' it to be much more than it was and always found the performance acceptible.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Exclamation

Vampelle,

The DLink DI-704P home router you have costs maybe $30. It simply doesn't have the internal memory per port to buffer many packets (especially using it with P2P software) without finally losing some data. It doesn't have an SPI firewall and it also doesn't have a fast processor. Finally D-Link has so many variations of internal hardware within the DI-704P box that they are probably losing count about now. Check there website for hardware variations, A, B1, B2, C1, etc...
    For those of you who successfully use P2P over this router, consider yourself blessed, as this box is known for problems.

If you haven't bought a Linksys product, I consider Linksys one step, maybe two above D-Link.

If you want a consumer priced BUT business class performance cable/dsl firewall router with SPI filtering, NAT, VPN (endpoint too), Security logs (email too), 8 10/100 ethernet ports (built-in switch), Dynamic DNS, and some other trick stuff, get yourself a Netgear FVS318 router. You'll get business class performance, rock solid protection for years for nearly $100.

Lose the headaches, lose the lack of performance, lose the problems, leave everyone else in the dust, buy the Netgear.

(Notice: No electrons were hurt in the making of this advertisement)
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"