Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D-Link Connectivity Issues

D-Link Connectivity Issues

Behind a D-Link DI-704P with Comcast Internet, I periodically get disconnected every 10 minutes or so, though the other nodes on the network stay connected or disconnect at various times, especially when using P2P programs. The other times no P2P is open, still disconnecting.
    Connecting directly through the cable modem, I don't get the problem, but cannot connect the other computers on the network that I want to have access to the web.
    In Arizona using CableOne for internet, I had no problems, then finally moved from there to Arkansas, and then to Michigan, both places having problems using Comcast broadband.
    I've tried the D-Link website and did a google search for fixes, updates, and various other odds and ends to fix the problem with no success.
    What is the actual problem with my connectivity problem and how do I fix it?
    TinFoilHat Linux O.o who needs more?

Have you tried to update your firmware? Which version are you using?

I've had really bad experience with d-link gear... specifically the issue you are having now.
    I've used one at my house, had one at a client's house... all have the same problem.

Others I've talked with have no problem at all....

I'm glad I decided to never use them again.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I've had tons of problems with D-Link products in the past. I'd recommend switching to something like linksys if possible.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

have you checked your computer for adware/spyware? are you getting any errors? is this a wired or wireless router? are you using static IPs or DHCP? what os's?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

I'll try upgrading the firmware again before giving out other information. I'll be back to bother you guys more if this problem continues thus answering the rest of the questions.
    Though I definately may end up switching to Linksys.

Ok, Firmware upgraded to 1.0.2 (newest version for my router)
    No spy/adware (adaware removed), no error messages (just disconnect), all hardwired, static IP number, and systems are running Windows XP (home and pro).
    Still disconnects after upgrade of firmware, sadly. *readies his sledge hammer*

AOs Resident Troll
    Make sure no other device is interfereing with it...

Like...is it sitting on top of your computer...or close to some other electrical device....modem???

These with interfere with your connections.

I had one site with constant disconnect problems because they would move the router to sit on top of one of the workstations....once I moved it off the workstation the disconnects would stop.

also..make sure your cables are good....

I've had tons of problems with D-Link products in the past. I'd recommend switching to something like linksys if possible.
    As for this
    .....I have never had any problems with dlink...

But you could have a faulty piece of hardware...next step is to call tech support

MLF

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Originally posted by Jareds411
    Jareds, I'm not trying to be a ***** but the "if it doesn't work, just switch products" mentality isn't always the best approach. It hinders the learning process. You should at least try to determine why something doesn't work because it may not be the product's fault. He might switch to a Linksys product and have the same problem. Then what have we accomplished besides wasting money?

vampelle, I also use multiple D-Link routers (both wireless and hardwired) and have had some rebooting issues. Apparently UpnP(Universal Plug n Play) causes a lot of grief. You may want to disable the UPnP option on your router. Here's a quote from the D-Link knowledge base:
    You may be experiencing trouble with a feature known as UPnP. This feature allows Windows XP and Me machines to remotely open necessary ports for Internet Applications. You may try disabling UPnP (on the router as well as your computers) to see if this cures your reset woes. Log into the web-based configuration, access the Tools page, then the Misc. button. Choose the disabled button next to UPnP. Click Apply. You should no longer experience the frequent resets.
    Also, under another troubleshooting topic that might be related to yours:
    Problems keeping a constant connect to the router

This is typically an issue with older 10/100BaseT network cards. The problem is the older cards have a hard time establishing a connection speed with the router unit.You can resolve this issue by locking down the speed of your Ethernet card.
    To correct this problem in WINDOWS XP:
    Step 1 Go to Start> Control Panel > and select Network connections.
    Step 2 Right click on your network card (for 2000 and XP only)and select Properties
    Step 3 Select the Configure button.
    Step 4 Under the Advanced tab you will see two boxes; Property and Value
    **Note: Depending on the type of Ethernet card you are using the headings in the Property box will be slightly different
    Step 5 Select each heading in the Properties box until the Value box displays the speed of your Ethernet card (it will look like this: Auto-Negotiation, 10Mb Full, 100 MB Half, etc..). You want to select 10mb Full Duplex
    Step 6 Keep clicking OK until you get to the desktop. Your computer may ask you to reboot depending on the version of Windows you are running.
    If these don't help solve your problem, you can look for more topics here
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Heh, the router is away from electrical devices to keep "cross talk" from occurring. Though the problem seems to have been fixed after upgrading the firmware (again) and going through a power cycle. Thanks for the help guys

After fiddling and farting around with the D-Link router, it worked for several hours letting me and my room mate do as we liked on the internet, then poof, out of the blue, repeated disconnections again.
    In my conclusion, D-Link royally sucks so I'm going to switch to another brand. Goodbye to D-Link, may your boycott last forever.