OK, I've trawled the other posts and nothing quite like this seems to exist out there...

I've a Fujitsu-Siemens S7010 laptop (pre-built with W2kPro by employer). I also have a 40gb IBM Travelstar 2.5 harddisk from an old laptop in a USB case. The laptop supports usb2.0 in the bios (I can see the external drive in my boot order options if its plugged it... before installing any o/s)

So I want to install XP onto the external drive giving me the dual boot option to run w2k on the internal drive or xp on the usb connected drive - since its my employers machine I don't want to mess with the install of the internal drive.

I get as far down the road of the xp install as choosing the partition, formatting the drive (ntfs), copying all setup files to h/d, and setup then reboots the machine. At that point in the install after reboot, as setup continues I get a BSOD stating "inaccessible_boot_device"

The bios sees the external drive, its in the list for boot devices but it just won't play...

do I need additional drivers? I've read dual boots with win/linux products.. so does a dual boot of this nature not work with ms/ms combos?

any help greatly appreciated folks!