Thread: Dual boot (w2k & XP) with a USB external drive BSODs

Dual boot (w2k & XP) with a USB external drive BSODs

OK, I've trawled the other posts and nothing quite like this seems to exist out there...

I've a Fujitsu-Siemens S7010 laptop (pre-built with W2kPro by employer). I also have a 40gb IBM Travelstar 2.5 harddisk from an old laptop in a USB case. The laptop supports usb2.0 in the bios (I can see the external drive in my boot order options if its plugged it... before installing any o/s)

So I want to install XP onto the external drive giving me the dual boot option to run w2k on the internal drive or xp on the usb connected drive - since its my employers machine I don't want to mess with the install of the internal drive.

I get as far down the road of the xp install as choosing the partition, formatting the drive (ntfs), copying all setup files to h/d, and setup then reboots the machine. At that point in the install after reboot, as setup continues I get a BSOD stating "inaccessible_boot_device"

The bios sees the external drive, its in the list for boot devices but it just won't play...

do I need additional drivers? I've read dual boots with win/linux products.. so does a dual boot of this nature not work with ms/ms combos?

any help greatly appreciated folks!

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Is this laptop your work laptop ?
    Used by you in your job ?

Then it is quite possible that you are NOT admin on system...........
    What logon procedure do you have ? [network ? / This Computer ?]

You may need to speak to your work admins, and ask for permission to set this up, they may want / need to do it for you...............

Is this the ONLY PC you have ?
    If you DO have another desktop PC at home, then use THAT for the XP only.

Leave the work one for work only.............

Pax.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

yes - i use it for work

yes - it serves a purpose in what i do professionally

and no - it's not 'quite possible' that i do not have admin rights... one of the first things I ensured.

why would i bother to look towards installing an alternate boot if i had ease of access to other machines? because the OTHER machines are 5000 miles away at home... patronism isn't really what i asked for and I saw this forum as a great meduim for adding technical insight to the problem stumping me... its not as though i said "hey, i just swapped my old laptops h/d with my new one and it doesn't work".. if you can add some value i'll gladly listen and certainly be appreciative...

otherwise... I'll leave you to your opinions - but thanks for the swift response