Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can I help this person?

Hoopy Frood

How can I help this person?

I'm living on a small college network that uses wireless internet access. Sometimes, my computer picks up an open wireless network with the default ssid "linksys". Is there anyway that I can send a message to that person (so that maybe it appears on their computer screens?) notifying them that they have no security at all and that anybody could be on their network without physically tracking them down?

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Why ruin a good thing.

Hoopy Frood
    Because I want to help them, and unlike you, I have some ethics.

- Xierox

-- Søren Kierkegaard

you could attempt to see if he has messenger service enabled and utilize that

NET SEND
    {name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message
    so you would connect to his wide open linksys wireless network and do a quick IP scan to see where his computer is located (ie. 192.168.1.2)

then do a net send 192.168.1.2 hey this is xierox, i wanted to give you a heads up that your wireless network is wide open to anyone around in the area, this is a huge risk send me an email at mytemporaryemail@hotmail.com and I will either walk you through it or for 80 bucks ill lock it down and teach you how to use it.

edit: and if he doesnt have messenger service enabled then just rename his ssid to UNPROTECTED or EMAIL tempemail@hotmail for help heck with it wide open his printer is prolly shared too so you could connect to his printer and print out your own flyer that says to call you for help
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Originally posted here by xierox
    Because I want to help them, and unlike you, I have some ethics.

- Xierox
    BAH! just enjoy the free ride.

wirless security 101 amongst n00bs is very common. hell, i see comp store clerks giving the shpeil to customers who just bought their first wireless router all the time.

anyone stupid enough to do blanatly stupid things like that are either:
    - a) dumb as deadwood or
    b) don't give a flying crap about security and couldn't care less about you or your little security speech*.

* i know the truth hurts, but it's a little like if you were a pack a day smoker and someone giving you a speech on how bad to your health it is. sure, the speech makes sense and is true - but what good it is when you don't give a flying FUSK!

p.s. don't do a net send. they are liable to think, "geez I wonder what else this person has done!" or they might go, "this must be the person that stole my identity online"

if you really want to help them out so badly, just walk up to them and tell them in person. "hi, i live over there and I see your wireless access point and am connecting to it all the time by mistake." end of story!

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    just walk up to them and tell them in person
    Damn son, you gotta be uber leet if you can ID the user of a wireless network on a college campus...

dumb as deadwood
    On a LRRP team there are usually four members. Which one is considered the most important?

1. The Team Leader
    2. The Gunner
    3. The Wireless Operator
    4. The Medic

Show me some live wood.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

On a LRRP team, I'd say 3, but 4 is a close second, IMHO....

As far as the wireless situation goes, ****em. Ignorance is their problem, not yours. You don't have to save the world, just make sure you're not dragged down with the rest of the masses.

Peace.

Hey, If I find out that another man's shoes aren't tied then im not going to lose any sleep at all over it or throw myself into some convoluted weave of whats ethical or moral.

Hoopy Frood
    You're entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine. I prefer to help people, you do not. I don't want to start a flame war so I'm not going to talk about it anymore.

-- Søren Kierkegaard