Windows Update - No Reboot

Thread: Windows Update - No Reboot

Windows Update - No Reboot

This has been mentioned as a possibility a few times on AO, however I never found out how to do it. The question is straightforward enough...

How can one update (from no patches to SP2+ patches) a Windows machine without rebooting?

I haven't been in the position yet to manage a network large enough to use any automated tools to do the job remotely, so I don't if any tools offer this.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Exclamation

Installing multiple updates with only one restart

The hotfix installer included with Microsoft Windows XP and Windows 2000 post-Service Pack 3 (SP3) updates includes functionality to support multiple hotfix installations.

For earlier versions of Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0, command-line tool named QChain.exe is available for download.

For additional information about how to install multiple updates or hotfixes without rebooting between each installation, click the following link to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296861

Note: You will have to reboot at least once, at the end of the install.

ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1's"

If you are using WUS or SUS, you can use set windows update to not require a reboot via group policy or the local policy.

My setup on my home network is as follows. 2K server serving out the updates to the client machines.

Each computer has the settings set locally... this is just becase there are so few of them and it took no time to configure them.

Each machine will automatically download and install the updates, but not require a reboot.
    It will wait for the user to reboot or shutdown.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.