Thread: file system question

file system question

I know it sound sily but can any one tell me how a file system can affect system performence does it enhence speed of write/read head of HDD or......................how.

i know using ntfs is suggested over FAT32 but what is the core reason behind it.......for what it is suggested.......... in simple i know the result of better file system like more faster search,less access time to resouces,etc

but the core question is how it make it .........

soory if you find it bit silly but this thing can't be googled easily.
    smoking is really bad for ur PC....

********** |ceWriterguy
    Now I'm not real savvy on the different file system methods, but to my understanding -

You choose NTFS over Fat32 because:

It's newer technology, more stable, has better data compression (less wasted space), more efficient reads to and from disk, and supports higher data encryption standards.

You use Fat32 on stuff like floppies or other portable media because most other computer systems that are publicly accessible or utilized in business still don't recognize NTFS yet, although we as technicians are working very hard to change that.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Most articles discussing file system choices look at FAT32 and NTFS as the two available choices. In reality, there are three systems which could be selected. FAT, FAT32, and NTFS. Granted, FAT32 and NTFS are the primary choices, but on occasion you'll still find the need for a FAT volume. A FAT volume has a maximum size of 2GB and supports MS-DOS as well as being used for some dual boot configurations, but backward compatibility is about the only reason I can think of that FAT should ever be used, other than for the occasional floppy diskette.

As much as everyone would like for there to be a stock answer to the selection question, there isn't. Different situations and needs will play a large role in the decision of which file system to adopt. There isn't any argument that NTFS offers better security and reliability. Some also say that NTFS is more flexible, but that can get rather subjective depending on the situation and work habits, whereas NTFS superiority in security and reliability is seldom challenged. Listed below are some of the most common factors to consider when deciding between FAT32 and NTFS.

FAT32 provides very little security. A user with access to a drive using FAT32 has access to the files on that drive.

NTFS allows the use of NTFS Permissions. It's much more difficult to implement, but folder and file access can be controlled individually, down to an an extreme degree if necessary. The down side of using NTFS Permissions is the chance for error and screwing up the system is greatly magnified.
    NTFS volumes are not recognized by Windows 95/98/Me. This is only a concern when the system is set up for dual or multi-booting. FAT32 must be be used for any drives that must be accessed when the computer is booted from Windows 95/98 or Windows Me.
    FAT and FAT32 volumes can be converted to NTFS volumes. NTFS cannot be converted to FAT32 without reformatting.
    NTFS supports file compression. FAT32 does not.
    How a volume manages data is outside the scope of this article, but once you pass the 8GB partition size, NTFS handles space management much more efficiently than FAT32. Cluster sizes play an important part in how much disk space is wasted storing files. NTFS provides smaller cluster sizes and less disk space waste than FAT32.

In Windows XP, the maximum partition size that can be created using FAT32 is 32GB. This increases to 16TB (terabytes) using NTFS. There is a workaround for the 32GB limitation under FAT32, but it is a nuisance especially considering the size of drives currently being manufactured.
    FAT32 drives are much more susceptible to disk errors.

NTFS volumes have the ability to recover from errors more readily than similar FAT32 volumes.

Log files are created under NTFS which can be used for automatic file system repairs.

NTFS supports dynamic cluster remapping for bad sectors and prevent them from being used in the future.
    =========================
    Hope that was a bit helpful.