Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xpsp2 BSOD "DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

Unhappy xpsp2 BSOD "DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

I've been using Windows XP Pro SP1 for a long time with no problems. I decided to try to upgrade to sp2 again, since it is becomming more of the norm. Every so often, around every 24 hours or so, my computer will BSOD. First i was getting one for win32k.sys, and i did some searching, found it might be related to my display adapter, and installed a newer driver for it. Now I am getting a new blue screen error, but around every 24 hours still... The BSOD is as follows:

"DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
    Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x71A82163, 0x000000F0, 0x00000000, 0x71A82163)

Notice there is no file reference like or anything like the first BSOD i got... not sure what to do, but i'm pretty sure its hardware related, so....

Any help?

Thanks guys!
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

********** |ceWriterguy
    I keep getting that one on my machine as well. Happens at random intervals, but usually when I'm trying to get into windows explorer, or do something graphics related. Spybot, Adaware, HJT, and fully updated PC-Cillin don't find what's causing it so I have to assume it's a corrupted file somewhere in windows. A full-reinstall fixes the problem for about a month for me, even after I update fully, but then it starts hitting again...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

It happens for me even when nothing is running, like i boot up and just leave the computer running for long enough it will BSOD.

its just on my home computer, sp2 works on all our work computers just fine... I have tried several reinstalls, both upgrading to sp2 from sp1, and a sp2 integrated install, both with similar results. Has my older computer reached its limit at sp1, never to run sp2? I don't really like the idea of not being able to fully update my computer at home...

I noticed it seems to be an irq problem
    I dont have many options in bios for this, but is there anywhere else I can check these settings to see if theres conflicts or irq's not set ect..?

AOs Resident Troll
    Try and update your drivers for your hardware...

From my limited experience with XP sp2 has knocked out print drivers, video drivers, modem drivers, and sound card drivers...all issues fixed by going to the vendor and getting the latest drivers.

IRQ errors are definately hardware issues..and win32sys is dll version conflicts...

Update your drivers and they will interact better with the new\updated dlls from the sp.

Hths

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

updated my display driver, sound driver, and nic card from manufacturers. Disabled anything i dont use, printer port, serial, etc... Will post results in around 24 hours if this helped or not.

Thanks for the advice!

HAve you tried a different Video Card?
    I have a nVidia Ti4200 that hates the gut of the Gigabyte Mobo.. It took 2 years to reach divorce status, a different card in there and 24/7 3 months no problems..

Have you looked at software: the error could also be a Virtual Device driver.. Anti Virus, Cd Burning Software etc..

It happens for me even when nothing is running
    .. there is ALWAYS something happening on a PC.. refer to my comment about VXD's.. ..

So if this problem occures with a fresh install of WinXp with SP2 and NO extra software..you have a hardware failure..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    HAve you tried a different Video Card?
    I have a nVidia Ti4200 that hates the gut of the Gigabyte Mobo.. It took 2 years to reach divorce status, a different card in there and 24/7 3 months no problems..

Have you looked at software: the error could also be a Virtual Device driver.. Anti Virus, Cd Burning Software etc..

.. there is ALWAYS something happening on a PC.. refer to my comment about VXD's.. ..

So if this problem occures with a fresh install of WinXp with SP2 and NO extra software..you have a hardware failure..
    I see what your saying, but as I said in first post, i've been running xpsp1 with no problems for over a year, so its not defective hardware. It is specifically a hardware compatability issue with sp2 only. I am hoping that by upgrading my drivers and disabling unused hardware, my problem should go away.

With the emergence of advanced IRQ management, the OS completely handles the assignment of IRQs. That's because we ran out of them and they are shared now. You can turn that off but you could also move your cards in and out of an empty slot at the end of the PCI bus to see if it's related to the way XP is handling a slot. Is your vid AGP or PCI? AGP grafix don't use IRQs right? (wrong, see edit). Take a card out move it to the last slot, test, etc. But really if there are no conflicts in the Hardware list on XP the OS may be fine and the Mobo and BIOS need updating, in fact I would do that anyway. After XP SP2 was released a lot of folks released updates so flash both. IF non of that works the PCI assignments sometimes move with the card. It would then be time to go back in time and turn of advanced PCI management. OH , DO NOT forget that cards can also have flash updates. Make sure your vid card doesn't have a new chipset update that is solely seperate from diver updates for windows. There is a lot of variable here.

//EDIT Brain wash, PCI card slot 1 shares IRQ with AGP. So if you have an AGP card, a troubleshooting step would be to remove and relocate what ever is in slot 1 and keep it out until trouble is isolated in some fashion.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I have an agp video card. I had a sound card in pci slot 1, but removed it when i was updating my drivers for my mobo, and the integrated sound card started working. So far no BSOD since yesterday... May have either been that pci slot 1, or old drivers for my hardware. For now all I can do is wait, althogh I'm hoping my problem is solved. I will post tomarrow when I am more sure.

Ok, I'm well past the 36th hour now. I'm guessing my problem is gone since this is a record for my sp2 uptime. Thanks to all that helped!