[Relates to Microsoft operating systems]
Here is an XP solution for automatically setting your external mouse scroll wheel/lines to another number other than "1" at bootup.
For this example we set the scroll lines to 8 and make two text files using notepad.
1) Open notepad and paste the following 4 lines (leave the empty line in):
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
2) Using SAVE AS, save the file as WHEEL.REG in your C:\ folder. After saving, leave notepad open.
3) Still within Notepad, delete the entire contents of this file and paste the following:
c:\windows\regedit.exe /s c:\wheel.reg
4) Using SAVE AS, save the file as SCROLL.BAT in your C:\ folder. After saving, close notepad.
5) Create a shortcut of scroll.bat and put it in your Startup folder found in your All Programs list.
Reboot and your external mouse will now scroll 8 lines per click. You can adjust the number from 8 and/or the location of the files, but remember to modify the SCROLL.BAT file to match.
As always, create a proper registry backup prior to any registry editing.
Beta tester of "0"s and "1's"