Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Career Choice

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica
    You should definitly learn how to program, it is a good skill to have when doing any kind of computer job. However, I strongly advise you not to use C++ as your first language, it is chalenging to learn if you are just starting out in the world of programming. I do agree with rowdy, python is a good choice for a first language. Also, it is helpful to get experience as soon as possible. For example, I currently have an after school job helping out my administrator for minimum wage. I'm no expert, but when applying to a collage for a technology course, a person with certification giving you a good reference could be the difference between getting in or being denied. Thats my opinion for what its worth (approx. .215cents).
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

Well...the best rule is to never BakkAuff of your intended goal,,,and if you should come across a sign saying RoadClosed ...just step back for a minute and take time out to go fly a Kite and clear your head...you'll be fraggin glad you did!

Sorry...just had to!

Originally posted here by Kite
    You should definitly learn how to program, it is a good skill to have when doing any kind of computer job. However, I strongly advise you not to use C++ as your first language, it is chalenging to learn if you are just starting out in the world of programming. I do agree with rowdy, python is a good choice for a first language.
    I have been checking out the python official site and I may take you guys up on that! Thank You

Originally posted here by Kite
    Also, it is helpful to get experience as soon as possible. For example, I currently have an after school job helping out my administrator for minimum wage. I'm no expert, but when applying to a collage for a technology course, a person with certification giving you a good reference could be the difference between getting in or being denied. Thats my opinion for what its worth (approx. .215cents).
    This is sometimes easier said than done, I would love to have an internship somewhere but it have the home-front to take care of also, so most internships can't pay me enough...I'm sure this want make things easier in future.

Another question when making a website which standard would you guys suggest, HTML, XHTML, XML and for added features use PHP or ASP or any other that I have not mentioned

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    studding Network Communications Management
    I tried studding my management once, when I was young, I got studded right back and it really, really hurt....

To be any good in computer security or programming or network admin or any computer related profession one of the keys to your success will always be attention to detail... It was just a typo... but this post is just making a point that is important.

Learning how to program teaches you the "logic" of the computer which is the key to the whole system. You don't have to be some brilliant programmer but you need to get to a point where you are proficient in a given language and know what can and can't be done, (or can't be easily). With that, and the additional knowledge of how the computer itself works, the network works, how people work and bad people work - again without having a _huge_ depth of knowledge in any particular field - will help you no end.

Then... learn how to be suspicious.... Distrust everything unless it is verified by a second trustable source. This usually comes with age and a tarnished view of the world but it can be learned.

Then move into the legal area and the forensics area. You won't be good there without the grounding above. Then learn the procedures that are successful in forensics and question them and try to improve them.

Forensics, in many ways, is the most difficult discipline in computers today. Mainly because the law lags so far behind and when that happens all it takes is a more convincing witness with "potentially viable" explanations to take all you hard work and throw it in the trash....

Good luck... We need good Computer Forensic Scientists....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    I tried studding my management once, when I was young, I got studded right back and it really, really hurt....

Good luck... We need good Computer Forensic Scientists....
    Thank You for your advice and encouragement Tiger Shark. A lot of times I find myself "overwhelmed" by all the information. I think I'm past that now and found a nice balance and know enough to grab the basics from many different areas, programming (which I've already starting looking into Python from some of the tutorials that are here and on python.org), networking communication (subletting, routing protocols), computer information (admin rights, workgroups, troubleshooting day-to-day issues) and web applications/standards (XHTML, PHP, ASP etc). Within all of that there is security that is needed as well as a forensic aspect when security fails or is compramised. When I get "frustrated" (because regardless it's going to happen) I can move to something else for awhile and come back to it...still not having to "waste" to much time and still “always” learning something new.

-cheers-

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Bakk:

You have plently of time.... Don't try to rush.... There will come a point where things just start "falling into place". Before that it will seem utterly overwhelming, I know... Being self taught I was dazed and confused most of the time.. Then, in the period of 12-18 months all the pieces started to "fit". Then you will be in that euphoric but short lived period where you _think_ you have it... Then you begin to realize how little you really know.... But by that point it's much clearer what you _need_ to learn...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hi. I came across this educational resource for you related to computer forensics. Network Forensic Professional.

http://www.pmg.com/cna.htm

I do not know much about the company or the value of the certification.

Hmm.. so many programmers lol
    Now im not saying its a bad thing. honestly, if u want forensics, u have to be the Jack Of All Trades. ive done Programming and Networking. so far i prefer Networking coz it gives me a very good idea how Networks (especially the Internet) works. but having a programming background helps aswell.. id say go for both. Networking is the easiest to learn. but hardest to catch up. since technology changes everyday, so does networking properties. Networking involves a lot of research and daily updates. But i enjoy it because it dont feel as monotenous as programming.

But if u wish to aim for higher recognized qualifications. like SANS, you will deffinatelty need to have a wide range of skill-set and experience. Security isnt an easy path to take. I myself am trying to walk in thesame path. now i am currently a certified Network Manager/Systems Analyst/Programmer/Project Manager. and i am aiming to get my Cisco Certificate and work more in the industry to qualify for a SANS.

Im trying to be the youngest person who ever got SANS lol. coz most of da ppl who have SANS are veterans... no offense to MM