Thread: enabling IEE

Unhappy enabling IEE

I saw Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network option check box under AUTHENTICATION tab of my wireless network properties..What does this box do?

AO Senior Cow-beller
    It enables 802.1x authentication (aka port based authentication).

http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1x.html

You need a WAP that supports 802.1x, or another service or AAA server that will utilize it. If you're not running a win2k3 domain, then I don't think there is a lot of options for the home user.

There's a lot more to it, but in a nutshell, 802.1x authentication is meant to protect the network and assets at the port level. Not port as in logical TCP ports, but port as in RJ-45 socket ports. The idea is, if 802.1x authentication is required and enforced, anyone plugging into the network would not be able to access any (or perhaps only a short predetermined list) resources until they properly authenticated. I believe the 802.11i (and/or other) security standards for Wireless may be based on 802.1x, or borrow heavily from it.

It's been awhile since I did much with this though, my details could be off. The link should help provide some insight.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore