Thread: Mozilla / Firefox / Thunderbird Multiple Vulnerabilities

AO French Antique News Whore

Mozilla / Firefox / Thunderbird Multiple Vulnerabilities

Description:
    Details have been released about several vulnerabilities in Firefox, Mozilla and Thunderbird. These can be exploited by malicious, local users to perform certain actions on a vulnerable system with escalated privileges and by malicious people to conduct spoofing attacks, disclose and manipulate sensitive information, and potentially compromise a user's system.

1) The vulnerability is caused due to the temporary plugin directory being created insecurely. This can be exploited via symlink attacks to delete arbitrary directories with the privileges of the user running Mozilla or Firefox.

2) The problem is that an inactive tab can launch an HTTP authentication prompt, which appears to be displayed by a website in another tab. This may be exploited to trick a user into entering some sensitive information (e.g. user credentials).

This is similar to:
    SA12712

3) An error in the handling of shortcut files (.lnk) can be exploited to overwrite arbitrary files by tricking a user into downloading a shortcut file twice.

4) The problem is that a XML document can include XSLT stylesheets from arbitrary sites, which may be exploited to disclose some sensitive information.

5) An error in the form fill feature (autocomplete) allows reading suggested values before they are chosen. This can be exploited to disclose some potentially sensitive input by tricking a user into arrowing through some autocompleted values.

6) A memory handling error in Mozilla string classes may allow overwriting of memory if the browser runs out of memory during string growth. This can potentially be exploited to execute arbitrary code.

7) The problem is that the hostname can be obfuscated in the installation confirmation dialog by including an overly long username and password. This can be exploited to trick users into accepting installations from untrusted sources.

Successful exploitation requires that the malicious website is allowed to request installations.

8) It is possible to cause a heap overflow due to an error when converting malformed UTF8 character sequences to Unicode. This may be exploited to cause a heap overflow and execute arbitrary code, however, general web content is not converted using the vulnerable code.

9) Various errors make it possible to show the "secure site" lock icon with certificate information belonging to a different site.

Solution:
    Firefox:
    Update to version 1.0.1.
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Mozilla:
    The vulnerabilities have been fixed in the CVS repository and will be included in the upcoming 1.7.6 version.

Thunderbird:
    The vulnerabilities have been fixed in the CVS repository and will be included in the upcoming 1.0.1 version.
    Source : http://secunia.com/advisories/14407
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica
    thanks for that information. goes to show that no web browser is perfect.
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

Thumbs up Just about now

That's why just about now FIREFOX prompt me for an update.

Downloading: Firefox 1.0.1 Software Update

Fast enough.

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

Hoopy Frood
    *sigh* I guess it was bound to happen with how many people are now running Firefox. Oh well! Thanks for the info, SDK!

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Fast enough!

UPDATE: The 1.0.1 Auto-update is now avaliable for Windows uses. Firefox should alert you that there is an update waiting witn an alert icon in the toolbar. Click it to install - there is no need to reinstall Firefox itself and all your settings will be preserved.
    - The AutoUpdate should work to those who don’t update to 1.0.1 yet (still using Firefox 1.0).

The new Firefox autoupdate should be available around March 7th.
    - Fast enough!

Firefox 1.0.1 - Installation Guidelines & Release notes HerE - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...5be007041b5ab5

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

STUPID MOZILLA, they always release such crappy code, with holes all over the damn place. they are so evil, idiots, whats wrong with them, they dont care about their customers, all they want to do is get their product out as fast as they can, this is such crap. I mean seriously, how hard is it to not have holes in your software... blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

that is the type of response that would have been given had it been a hole in IE or any other microsoft product becasue there are too many people here that like to bash MS without knowing jackshit what they are talking about. This post just goes to show that it doesnt matter what company is making the code, its just not possible to have 1 group of people write code and not have security flaws becasue there are thousands of groups of people looking to exploit the product. I am glad that they are responding quickly though. hopefully we wont have to patch the pach.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica
    well said. it is just that you would expect better product from a huge company like microsoft.
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

Hoopy Frood
    The main reason I bash M$ once in a while is because of their business practices. Other than that, I'm fairly happy with Windows.

- X
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard