Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google storing passwords in clear text!!

Google storing passwords in clear text!!

I wanted to see how "1514" looks after encrypting it with MD5 algorithm. So I opened the Cain and Abel to use its Hash Calculator. To my surprise I saw my gmail account user name and password stored in clear text in Cain's password storage tab.

What are the possiblities...Is Google storing the passwords in clear text or Cain cracked it for me or its a problem with IE(which I used).

Please see the image I attached.
    There is no Gravity. Its only because earth SUCKS!!!

From the image you uploaded, it looks like this is more a problem with IE. In the type column, it says the source was Interet Explorer Protected Sites.

IE stores 95% of it's information in plain text, and the other 5% in half-hearted encryption that can be broken by simple 3rd party decryption programs.

Hence, no using IE to remember passwords FOR you.
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

Elite Hacker
    If you'd like, I'll remember your passwords for you. Just pm them to me. This way you don't have to deal with IE storing them in plain text .

AO French Antique News Whore
    As guardian alpha said, the problem is IE and not Google.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    As guardian alpha said, the problem is IE and not Google.
    Actually, I'll take issue with that.... it's not IE that's the problem it's the user who asks the computer to remember a password for him..... That's the problem.... But then again, if you can't remember your password you probably don't have a **** load worth keeping safe from other people..... So there really isn't an issue is there?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Actually, I'll take issue with that.... it's not IE that's the problem it's the user who asks the computer to remember a password for him..... That's the problem.... But then again, if you can't remember your password you probably don't have a **** load worth keeping safe from other people..... So there really isn't an issue is there?
    Ahh, but it's still IE's fault for allowing the user to BE stupid enough to allow it to store passwords plaintext. Nowadays it's the company's job to watch out for the retarded Lusers out there.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

My intension was to alert those newbies(like me) who store their passwords with IE(sucks).

anyways thanks for your replies.
    There is no Gravity. Its only because earth SUCKS!!!

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by gess~da~devil
    My intension was to alert those newbies(like me) who store their passwords with IE(sucks).

anyways thanks for your replies.
    Take a look at Password Safe, a rock solid password storage/encryption program that does a damn fine job of cleaning up it's own memory space and other common poor programming issues. It's from some of the folks at Counterpane, including cryptography guru Bruce Schneier. I use it religiously.

Oh, and turn off that damned IE password storage, otherwise the temptation is too strong. I know...I speak from experience.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Gess:

Having re-read what I wrote I would like to say that, while it may seem so, my intent was not to imply that you were at fault for asking IE to save your password... It was a general comment. My aplogies if you took it wrongly... My bad....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides