Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to buy a router with udp

trying to buy a router with udp

i recently found out that my router doesnt do udp, but i was wondering about this: when i look up the details about some of the games i play, age of mythology for example, it will say that certain udp ports have to be open to host/join games. now, i've tried connecting to my friend's regular tcp/ip game and it doesnt work because neither of us can forward udp ports(i know we could plug directly into the modem, but that's not the point), but how come i can join games on the microsoft network for age of mythology and play? sometimes my router logs say that there are unacceptable packets incomming from battle.net or whatever, but besides that i can play the games just fine over these gaming networks. so whats different there that enables me to play from behind my router without being able to handle udp?

First off... what kind of router do you currently have?

You should be able to use the router that you have...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

whats the vendor & model?

i have a pretty cheap & crappy router - and I can open/close UDP ports.

its a dlink dl-704p and i had to call dlink tech support because the website doesnt list what protocols their routers do or dont support, but the guy on the phone said this model couldnt forward udp ports.

Originally posted here by slinky2004
    its a dlink dl-704p and i had to call dlink tech support because the website doesnt list what protocols their routers do or dont support, but the guy on the phone said this model couldnt forward udp ports.
    you are having gaming problems, right?

here you go:
    What port or ports do I have to open for my application to work behind my router?

hope it's the right rev. version.

did you bother to check the D-Link site before you called tech support or posted?

yeah, the problem was basically that i need to forward a udp port and the router doesnt support udp. i wanted to know why it worked when i played over a gaming network like battle.net etc. i can play from behind a router that cant do udp.

also, i dont know if any of you guys have heard of teamspeak but my clan is thinking of using it, but we aren't sure whether the clients will all have to have routers, etc. that can handle udp because the faq http://www.goteamspeak.com/faq.php?faq=9 says that the server would have to have a udp port forwarded to it, so doesnt that mean that our users would have to have routers that can handle udp? i've actually tried connecting to a public teamspeak server and i am unable to speak on it and i think its because the voice portion uses udp and my router doesnt do udp.

Lol so it just doesnt forawrd udp ports, thats a BIG diference. The linksys wireless b cheap rotuer I had use to forawrd udp.

well, i dont really know if this router can do anything with udp. it doesnt have any options to forward a udp port and i'm not sure if i can even transmit udp from this router. anyway, here are my questions:
    when i look up the details about some of the games i play, age of mythology for example, it will say that certain udp ports have to be open to host/join games. now, i've tried connecting to my friend's regular tcp/ip game and it doesnt work because neither of us can forward udp ports(i know we could plug directly into the modem, but that's not the point), but how come i can join games on the microsoft network for age of mythology and play? sometimes my router logs say that there are unacceptable packets incomming from battle.net or whatever, but besides that i can play the games just fine over these gaming networks. so whats different there that enables me to play from behind my router without being able to handle udp?
    i dont know if any of you guys have heard of teamspeak but my clan is thinking of using it, but we aren't sure whether the clients will all have to have routers, etc. that can handle udp because the faq http://www.goteamspeak.com/faq.php?faq=9 says that the server would have to have a udp port forwarded to it, so doesnt that mean that our users would have to have routers that can handle udp? i've actually tried connecting to a public teamspeak server and i am unable to speak on it and i think its because the voice portion uses udp and my router doesnt do udp.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Originally posted here by slinky2004
    well, i dont really know if this router can do anything with udp. it doesnt have any options to forward a udp port and i'm not sure if i can even transmit udp from this router. anyway, here are my questions:
    Ok, now just stop a minute. Stop, stop, stop.

Forwarding UDP ports and supporting the User Datagram Protocol are two very different points. Your router may not allow the forwarding of UDP ports; but not doing anything with UDP would break most of the usefulness you get from the router. Simple things. Like DNS.

So yes, your router may not allow the forwarding of UDP ports, but it guaruntee with 99.9% certainty that it supports UDP.

And if it turns out that I am wrong, then you got ripped off if you paid any money for that thing, go buy another.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

thanx zencoder, i was unclear about that. look at this though: http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1436#707p that is a tutorial by dlink on how to forward this port to play aom(a udp port) on my exact model router dl-704p(rev. b). i guess there's no way to actually specify what protocol the port is being forwarded with, but it's implied somehow? thats really wierd. especially since the dlink tech support ppl told me that it didnt support udp on the phone, i think the guy didnt know, didnt feel like finding out, and was tired of dealing with me so he just said it didnt support it.