Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first website redone

My first website redone

A while back i posted about my new website i made for my dads company. After getting your comments and suggestions i decided to scrap it and creat it from scratch. His buisness is tool and dye and he wants more of a simple, easy access page with just a few things on it.
    This is what i came up with
    www.medwaytool.vze.com
    Please give any suggestions to make this site better, more effecient, or just taking out some of the negatives. I am still waiting for a few pictures to put up so it might look a bit bare on some pages.

Hi aura2,
    I think your website has the following drawbacks,

[list=1][*]Not suitable, at all, when browsing with FireFox. Incompatibility with other browsers.[*]Each page should have a relevant page title. I don't recommend the unified page title for all pages.[*]The lower logo in almost all pages is not in suitable position.[*]Many places are left blank, which can be deducted for better browsing.[*]Many users may not like the horizontal scroll bar. Personally I don't.[*]As a business website you should have your own domain name. I don't recommend a free web hosting service. It costs very lettle to have your own domain without Ads.[/list=1]

I do recommend you to test your website to assure a better browsing for all users, any notion of following your own prefernces will lead to complete failure.

Try to put a little copyright statment at the end of each page.

Since you are trying to enter the arena of web design, I do recomment you to use Macromedia Dreamwaver, it offers plenty of powerful tools to enhance your website functionality. Better still, use Macromedia Fireworks for the best enhamncemnt for your pictures and animations. These are my best tools to design a coherent and decent website...

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

hmmm first lose the frames - yuck! I dont know why anyone out there uses them anymore when you have so many options available to you.

The logo looks out of place....Does your dad's business not have its own company logo? what do they put on their business cards/stationary? please dont tell me thats it :P

I agree about the domain name - they dont cost much and make the site more proffesional

Code:
    ><marquee behavior=alternate width=500>Machinery & Equipment</marquee>
    a marquee oO why!?!?!?!?!? hold on why dont you put the rest fo the text in <blink> tags >.<

and you really need to develop the content side of things as well

v_Ln

how can i make it more compatable with other web browsers?

and i think the www.vze.com is messing somehow with my page titles, because each of the pages have a title. the actual website is www.freewebs.com/medwaytool/index.html where it shows all of the titles.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    how can i make it more compatable with other web browsers?
    By testing it in those browsers! Code the site and test it out in Firefox/IE and so on. Another thing that you should take into consideration is resolution. A site made for 1024 x 768 is not going to work out in a 800 x 600 resolution( bloated). Mostly its just tweaking the tag attributes to get it to work between the different browsers.

the problem is , if i tweek it so it does work well in 800x600, i change back to 1024 x 768 and its messed up there. Since i am not using frames, im using a background its all about spacing and i cant get it right in both browsers and different resolutions

Ok, i took you guys' critisism and bought a domain (www.medwaytool.com), tweeked it so that it works for multi resolutions and browswers (IE and Mozilla tested).
    Also I am getting rid of the banner at the top. And some pictures are still to be added. Any more critisism is appreciated.
    Is there anyway to stretch my background image so it doesnt tile when bigger resolutions are used to view it? I would like o find a way in HTML b/c i am more fluent in that.

The only way i can think to do it is put it in a table and use the argument width=100%. When i do this it just covers all of my material and i cant view anything but the background.

I am sorry if I am being a pest about this topic, however this is just my first time so I am trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks for your help again.

Regal Making Handler
    You realy should validate your site there is still quite alot of errors. See the attached.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

ill take a look at it, thank you