Thread: Upcoming Security Conference in Colorado Springs

AO Senior Cow-beller

Upcoming Security Conference in Colorado Springs

Announcement from the ISSA-COS chapter president:

The annual March event for the Colorado Springs, CO chapter of the ISSA -- "ISSA-COS Spring Security Conference" -- will again be held at Colorado Technical University (CTU) in Colorado Springs, CO. Among our speakers will be Phil Zimmerman (see attachment) the creator of the encryption package Pretty Good Privacy (PGP). Phil is an engaging speaker and we are very fortunate to have another fine line up of speakers – more information to come. Start time for events is 07:45 and it will feature both speakers and break out rooms with technical experts in residence!

This is the general schedule:
    0745 Registration, Networking and Continental Breakfast
    0815 Welcome and Opening Remarks
    0830 Presentations Start
    1145 Lunch
    1615 Conference Ends

The is again no cost thanks to our event’s sponsors:
    Symantec
    Guidance Software
    PGP Corporation
    Citadel Security Software
    TippingPoint
    The registration is not yet open for the public, only for chapter members. It will open for the public soon, but seating is always limited at this event. If anyone from AO is interested, and is in or can make it to the Rocky Mountain Frontrange region, let me know. I'll be attending and providing a review of the conference. In the past they have always been excellent presentations as well as great opportunities to network with professionals. Because of Colorado Springs high federal and military presence (US Air Force Academy, Peterson Air Force Base, Ft. Carson Army Base, Schreiever Air Force Base (SAC and JNIC based here), and Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Base (NORAD...remember Wargames?) you can expect to rub elbows with a lot of federal employees or contractors. Northrupp Grumman, Lockheed-Martin, Raytheon, and many others have employees at this event, usually.

Colorado Springs is a great city (it sits right below Pikes Peak, inspiration for the song America The Beautiful and the lyric 'purple mountains majesty'). Also, CTU is near the technology business district, so there are a lot of hotels nearby if your travelling...I've gotten pretty good rates the last few times.

More info to come...
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Bah! Who want's to go to Colorado Springs... open spaces, mountains, kick ass brew pubs, hot chicks, great colleges, hi-tech firms, good food... who needs all that?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Good point, RoadClosed, we'd just be spoiled when we went back home, and who needs the disappointment?

********** |ceWriterguy
    Wow - brings back memories. Dad was deputy post commander at Carson and we did a lot of those 'high up muckety muck' dinners at Norad. I was all of 10 when we lived there.

It's good that there'll be a federal presence there at the conference, but I don't expect they'll be revealing much in the way of things new and cool, however it might be refreshing to see how 'it's being done by Uncle Sam' within limits of unclassified info.

Before I consider a 3 day drive to Colorado Springs, I'm curious to know what dates the conference covers, and the cost to get in the door? It'd be pretty cool to get to meet Phil, although I'll bet he was a tiny bit miffed at the 'pretty good privacy' thing - pgp stood for pretty good program
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Ice, we'd love to have you, but I'm not sure a three day drive merits this...but thats up to you. Most of the fed types will be in the audience. Looking at the sponsors, I'd bet we hear from Phil Z (no brainer), Guidance Software (makers of Encase forensic software), Citadel (makers of Hercules cm software). Symantec will have a presence...not sure if they are presenting. Same for Tipping Point. Not sure what the subjects are, either; product overview and "I love me!" sorts of things, or less overt sales pitches. But it's always good info and a great place to rub shoulders.

BTW, the date is March 30th, one-day event; probably easier for folks in the region. But if you wanna come have a beer or five with RoadClosed and myself, I'm sure Phantom Canyon, Jack Quinn's, or The Warehouse would be more than accomodating.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

********** |ceWriterguy
    Thanks and I'll take it into consideration - tax return's due before then so it might become plausible. Still thinking on it.

"If I had a wagon..."
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I'll jump down from Fort collins to join you!!

Sounds interesting.

Send a meeting place and time...

SGS

But if you wanna come have a beer or five with RoadClosed and myself, I'm sure Phantom Canyon, Jack Quinn's, or The Warehouse would be more than accomodating.
    Five? Who can have just one, seems a shame to only partake in a single offering of blessed hops.

Phantom Canyon

Jack Quinns

The Warehouse
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.