Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Port Scanning

New to Port Scanning

I am a newbie and I would like to learn how to port scan and then play around a little after that. However I'm told that even though I don't plan to do anything destructive my ISP may be contacted and I could lose my account (not to mention legal trouble). I was wondering if anyone knows of a server that I could practice on and build up confidence without receiving harsh punishments for my ignorant mistakes.

Hummmm mode is this like the I scanned the ports now what do I do thread?
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Re: New to Port Scanning

Originally posted here by twotsco
    I am a newbie and I would like to learn how to port scan and then play around a little after that. However I'm told that even though I don't plan to do anything destructive my ISP may be contacted and I could lose my account (not to mention legal trouble). I was wondering if anyone knows of a server that I could practice on and build up confidence without receiving harsh punishments for my ignorant mistakes.
    My ISP disconnects me every time I run a port scan...the fascist bastards!

you cant learn to port scan you have to download or write a port scanner application.

Re: New to Port Scanning

Originally posted here by twotsco

If I were you, I'd set up a LAN at my house or somewhere where you are free to play and mess around without the possibility of punishment. There are definitely some ISP's who will reprimand users who run port scans - I can't name any names right now, cause I haven't run into an ISP personally who bans port scans - but I know that this practice is common. Anyway, back to the point - set up a LAN, run several different operating systems and configurations (as many as you can get a hold of), get yourself a port scanner (maybe something like SuperScan) and have fun... The word of advice here is to experiment on your own equipment to avoid trouble...
    - Maverick

I suggest SuperScan or NScan for windows or if you want to be more advanced get nmap for linux or nt.

what is a suggestion for a good scanner, and once i use it what are some things to do to start learning some basics, like sending forged e-mails to myself and whatnot

if you have broadband, then you could connect one of your old machines (if you have any left over) to the net with juno or something, then hack it, you won't care if you screw up a machine you no longer use, you could even reformat and install a new OS to get varied practice

http://www.pulltheplug.com look at their systems and you'll see
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]