Thread: 2 Q in 1

2 Q in 1

Hi i did not want to post two threads in a row so i am putting 2 questions in this one. Ok my first question is on my computer for some reason my AIM is not working any more worked fine for the longest time then all of a sudden it wont work at all i tryed reinstalling doing virus scan, spyware scans, adware scans and i got nothing that could affect my aim so what i did was i totaly got rid of aim and i tryed using gaim but that dose not work either any one have any ideas i am running winxp fully updated.

For my second question a friend of mine just got a laptop and his computer screen is not working he says it flashes the winxp startup screen then goes white. I havent had a chance to look at this comp yet but i am not sure what could be wrong so i figured i would ask if any one knew of what wight be wrong.

Elite Hacker
    I just have a question about the second question. Did your friend's laptop come preinstalled with windows XP or did he put it on there. If it came preloaded there is no reason for what you're describing, and he should be able to get them to fix it on warranty or something. That sucks though, I'd hate to get a laptop and not be able to use it. Hope you guys get your stuff figured out.

can u please say what is AIM and gaim

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Re: 2 Q in 1

Originally posted here by Riot
    my first question is on my computer for some reason my AIM is not working any more worked fine for the longest time then all of a sudden it wont work at all i tryed reinstalling doing virus scan, spyware scans, adware scans and i got nothing that could affect my aim so what i did was i totaly got rid of aim and i tryed using gaim but that dose not work either any one have any ideas i am running winxp fully updated

Are you perchance on a college campus?

If so, it's nothing you did. blame the school's firewall settings. They may have closed off the port. To see if this is the case, go to the AIM sign-in screen, and click on "options." click the button that says, "connection." On the next screen, click "Auto Configure." This will automatically search for an open port and an AIM server to connect to.

Good Luck!
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Regarding the laptop, will it boot into safe mode? and can he get into setup (BIOS) configuration?

Did it ever work?

First two things I would try are to check that the screen resolution/refresh rate are supported by the video card. If that is the problem you should be able to boot into safe mode and reset it.

Otherwise try turning off all power saving, snooze/sleep options in the BIOS.

Cheers

I just have a question about the second question. Did your friend's laptop come preinstalled with windows XP or did he put it on there.
    It came with it he did not install it. Also to answer you suggestion he did call the manufacture and they said this problem would not be covered by the warenty.

Are you perchance on a college campus?
    Nope just my home network and the weird thing is i didnt change any settings on my firewall and all of my AV scanns show up nothing and its the same with my sypware scans.

[QUOTE]
    Regarding the laptop, will it boot into safe mode? and can he get into setup (BIOS) configuration?

Did it ever work?
    [QUOTE]
    I do not know if it will boot in safe mode or if the bios config can be accessed i have not seen it yet but as soon as i do i will post back and it did work, he said he had it on and he got up to let his dog out and then when he got back the screen was messed up.

thank you all for your posts i will post back with some information as soon as i get to take a look at the comp.

It came with it he did not install it. Also to answer you suggestion he did call the manufacture and they said this problem would not be covered by the warenty.
    Oh, so just which banana republic does this manufacturer reside in?

Mind you.......he probably shot his mouth off to get that kind of response.............first rule.....deny all competence, then they won't think that you messed with it

Only if they try to B/S you do you wipe them out with technical knowledge............and some outfits deny all responsibility as corporate policy.............at least 25% of people, will go away and get it fixed at their expense.

In the USA I know that retail margins are razor thin.............hell! I buy stuff and even with the shipping, carnet and duty charges I can save a lot..............I guess that with IT stuff we are looking at $1 = £1 ( real rate is around £1 = $1.8?)

Please let me know what you find....................