New Post, Old topic... w0ot for SP2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Post, Old topic... w0ot for SP2

Banned

New Post, Old topic... w0ot for SP2

As most of you (at least the smart ppl... eyes horsey) know, SP2 has all but completely crippled, ok it has completely crippled NMAP. By not allowing raw socket programming apparently MS thinks they will stop the spread of viruses, worms, and malware; then people will flock to them... no? I feel pretty safe saying that if it does, it won't for very long, and not so safe saying it won't do at all. Anybody else smart (aka NOT AngelicKn1ght) have input/thoughts on this one?

.|.. bitches

OK a couple of things to ponder:

1. How many people use NMAP?
    2. How many people use raw sockets programming?

Gibson was always ranting on about raw sockets

http://www.grc.com

Remember that MS do not sell NMAP or give a monkey's chuff about it................they are just following their herd instinct. For Joe public and desktop users this seems to make sense.

What I am unsure of is: are raw sockets are totally banned by SP2, or is there an option to activate them?

AO French Antique News Whore
    First : Nmap work very good with SP2. Check this link to read why!
    http://seclists.org/lists/nmap-hacke...-Sep/0003.html

Second : AngelicKn1ght is smart and looking at this post, you'are not.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Banned
    Originally posted here by nihil

http://www.grc.com

Remember that MS do not sell NMAP or give a monkey's chuff about it................they are just following their herd instinct. For Joe public and desktop users this seems to make sense.

What I am unsure of is: are raw sockets are totally banned by SP2, or is there an option to activate them?
    From what I've seen so far, there is more control in the network on communications. Raw sockets can be initiated, but not from an anonymous outside source. Software that depends on raw sockets, of course, breaks. You can un-break it with some policy changes, or the vendor can provide an update that doesn't depend on raw sockets.

I have to side with Gibson on the raw sockets issue. There are other ways to protect your network if you need raw sockets. Creativity, vigilance and dedication are pretty resource intensive and regressive, though.

Banned
    SDK, shush about angelic; he's an idiot. I know they released an SP2 pack, I had it for a bit. Thanks for that bit of info rapier.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    um... could you please inform us as to why you think he's in idiot?

On second thought, I really don't care as to why you think he's in idiot, I know he's not and I know your acting like one. So please, do not insult other's intelligence.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Exclamation

Prophet Gibson has been ranting for years about doom and gloom in a few areas.

GRC (and Steve Gibson in particular) has been in the news before with his prophetic statements. In a 1992 article in InfoWorld, he predicted the end of the pattern-matching virus scanners. However, it is now 13 years later, and pattern-matching remains the most commonly used method of virus protection programs.

Gibson implies that Linux will destroy the world (not in the way you think though)
    http://vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=335&page=4

Gibson also has been ranting for years about how Raw Sockets will destroy the internet as we know it. Lots of hype mixed with fear, uncertainity and doubt, coupled with a pretty good PR compaign.

Read an opposing view at http://www.informit.com/articles/art...p?p=27289&rl=1

I don't believe anything this guy (Gibson) says.

www.grcsucks.com is an informative site about Gibson's history.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

ZT3000

I will just comment on the last one:

defamation, libel and finally slander.
    OK................cite me the links where I can read about Steve Gibson being successfully sued............all those three would produce this reaction.

The other two are pure gobshite as well............if you are going to post please put a bit of your own intelligence into it, there's a good chap.

Now, I did refer to Gibson's "ranting" did I not, so you should figure out that I take it with a "pinch of salt" as we say over here

I do not think that Steve Gibson is a "media darling"............never even heard of him until I stumbled across his site on the internet.............the very phrase stinks of jealousy and sour grapes?

I guess that I am underwhelmed by your contribution

AO French Antique News Whore
    Demon :

Don't send neg to peoples who send neg! You are going no where with this attitude.

And please, don't give him AP because I neg him. He'll only think that any newbie can flame a senior in AO can go unpunished.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Exclamation

Nihil,

I will just comment on the last one:
    defamation, libel and finally slander.
    OK................cite me the links where I can read about Steve Gibson being successfully sued............
    Who are you quoting about defamation, libel and finally slander?

The other two are pure gobshite as well
    The website's have the facts straight as far as I've followed them, for some years now.
    Sorry you've discounted them. If you still need more information, try googling Usenet, discussions surrounding Steve Gibson are plentiful.

I do not think that Steve Gibson is a "media darling"............never even heard of him until I stumbled across his site on the internet.............the very phrase stinks of jealousy and sour grapes?
    Steve Gibson was a respected name in the mid to late 80's, along with Peter Norton (of bigger fame). Both were quoted in computer magazines, sold nationally respected products in national magazines and had TV and radio airtime. Steve was well liked and respected among the media. I don't think the term "Media Darling" was inaccurate at the time, although now he certainly isnt termed a Media Darling.

How I know about Steve is: In the late 80's I had bought a software product that Steve wrote in assembly, I had upgraded it thru the years (sending a little "How are you still doing" personal email), have traded discussions with him via FIDONet in the 80's and very early 90's.
    If you read his website, some of it has technical inaccuracies and his conclusions are a bit farfetched. There is only one product I'm interested in that he still makes, as for the rest of what he says...well....

Sorry it was a bit underwhelming for you.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"