Thread: SP2 ICS Firewall & Windows Update

SP2 ICS Firewall & Windows Update

I believe that I have already posted a previously similar post. However I am still having the same issue. I am unable to activate my ICS firewall that came with SP2. And since my ICS went down, I am now unable to connect to the windows up date site. I get an error when I try to click the express download for the updates. I am however able to update manually, but I would like the simplicity of clicking a button and getting my updates back. Any solutions or comments from others having the same problem? Microshaft told me that it has to be on my end, however everything is running great here. For an assistant from Microshaft to help it will cost me 75.00 dollars an hour. And I simply dont think that they know what it going on.

TheRouter
    Life is like an incessant series of problems, all difficult, with brutal choices, and a time limit. The worst thing you can do is to make no choice, waiting for the ideal conclusion to present itself. The conclusion has to come from yourself. A formed idea that you know the difference between right an wrong.

What exact error do you get ?
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Is your automatic updates service still running?

Start>Run>Services.msc
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

This is the error that I get.....

[Error number: 0x80070424]
    Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:
    For self-help options:

Windows Update Response Center

Windows Update Troubleshooter

Windows Update Newsgroups
    For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)

And no I have my auto updates turned off.

TheRouter
    Life is like an incessant series of problems, all difficult, with brutal choices, and a time limit. The worst thing you can do is to make no choice, waiting for the ideal conclusion to present itself. The conclusion has to come from yourself. A formed idea that you know the difference between right an wrong.

You can have auto updates turned off but you need to have the service running for the updates page to work properly.

You can just start it manually when you want to update and stop it again when you are done.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Found this:

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/...4-08/6494.html
    Error 0x80070424 indicates that the BITS service does not
    exist (or is messed up).

This command line should reinstall the BITS service, run it e.g.
    from Start/Run (line will wrap in the newsreader!):

%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall
    132 %SystemRoot%\inf\qmgr.inf

If it asks for your OS/SP CD-ROM to get some files, just point it to the
    folder C:\Windows\System32 (or wherever WinXP is installed to)

Please post any result back here, good or bad :-)
    Also so some reports about worms/trojans causing this problem in an attempt to keep you from updating, so you might want to make sure you are not infected.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I'll look into the tech page. However my update service runs. But i still receive that error. Any added liks to support or help would be appreciated! Thanks a bunch.

TheRouter