Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: spying on spouse

Hi. You should not be doing this. It's illegal. As you see by the overall reponses from community, most other members also don't think you should do this. I think your question has been answered.

Ms. M. Its not that she is spying on him thats illegal, the part about running unauthorized software on a computer is.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Stupid question but why? I always thought it was those in the legal profession (i.e., representatives of the state).

And for pure curiosity sake, what laws specific prevent private citizens from listening in on other private citizens (excluding laws that deal with breaking into a computer system)? I've been looking through my Pocket Criminal Code (2005) for Canada and can't find anything. There seems to be an expectation of privacy in regards to how things are brought into criminal court but I don't know if civil courts have the same issues.
    The profile of the poster states that he/she is a PI, they (if they are on the up & up) too, as far as I can recall, are required to follow the same processes as law enforcement. It would be the same as a phone tap.

Cheers:
    DjM

Apparently everyone likes a juicy topic on a Friday afternoon....let loose a little IT stress before you go home.

This thread was like playing whack-a-mole.

Cheers .... the weekend begins.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The profile of the poster states that he/she is a PI, they (if they are on the up & up) too, as far as I can recall, are required to follow the same processes as law enforcement. It would be the same as a phone tap.
    But even then, isn't it generally in relation to a criminal situation rather than a civil (e.g., divorce) case? The idea of "tainted" evidence is what comes to mind. I'm just trying to get this clear as it's always one of those "grey" areas IMO.

Certainly, in this situation, anything that's on a system that is own by a government, spying on an employee of the government would be violating, in the US, I believe, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, 18 U.S.C., Subsection 1030 1 and/or 2, (A)(B)(C).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    But even then, isn't it generally in relation to a criminal situation rather than a civil (e.g., divorce) case? The idea of "tainted" evidence is what comes to mind. I'm just trying to get this clear as it's always one of those "grey" areas IMO.

Certainly, in this situation, anything that's on a system that is own by a government, spying on an employee of the government would be violating, in the US, I believe, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, 18 U.S.C., Subsection 1030 1 and/or 2, (A)(B)(C).
    We do not really know if it's civil or criminal MsM, so that's why I mentioned the court order. Even if it is civil, I believe a "licensed" PI is still bound to follow due process when collecting evidence.

Cheers:
    DjM

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Originally posted here by raindarkblue
    ...I am the spouse...
    Why didn't you just say that to begin with?
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Why didn't you just say that to begin with?
    'Cause he's a scamming POS?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Hmmm.................

It seems to me that truth is a moving target in this thread

I think we can conclude that:

1. Anyone installing spyware on a government owned computer is a complete moron. They (FBI/SS) are probably monitoring it right now. It might be a terrorist activity? Once they have found out that it isn't they will still make an example of the perpertrator............they really have no choice?

2. If you have marital problems see a divorce lawyer..............you are going to need one anyway.

3. If a person works in a professionally managed IT environment, they will know the AUP and that they are being monitored from within, so they are unlikely to do anything compromising on that system.

4. Evidence so collected would be inadmissible in court due to its illegality. Submit it in court and get a prison sentence

OH WELL, at least this thread was more amusing than the how do I bypass my organisations firewall? or whatever

Have a good week-end folks

raindarkblue, an email comes with a header...in the header you should find an ip address of where it came from. It doesn't help that I can't understand your post very well, but if this email was sent by your spouse, for example, from your house, it shouldn't be a problem comparing ip's as long as the ISP you have at home uses static ip's.

Now maybe the best thing to do at this point is to find out if you have the so called keylogger installed in your system or not. I would be pretty surprised if a government agency allows users to intall programs of any kind. I know mine doesn't. I would tell you to contact your network admin, but be aware that spending "private time" in a government computer is enough grounds for you to get suspended. Although everybody does it. Maybe you need to read your email at work? Which by the way should not have allowed you to download any attachments. This is why I don't truly grasp your post to begin with. My point is, if I didn't get you wrong so far, and you are allowed to access your email, go to your admin and explain to him that you might have downloaded a trojan on your workstation by mistake. He'll take it from there. Good luck with your spouse.

I might add this: if in fact your spouse sent you such thing, he could be in trouble. But the admin certainly isn't doing his job either, so i'm betting he wouldn't wanna make an issue out of it. Otherwise he'll look pretty stupid and imcompetent ( spelling?)