Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: windows update on a CD....is it possible?

not sure if this helps or not

http://www.autopatcher.com/

but I've found it very useful
    Registered Linux user: 256848

If it is always the same OS that is being installed slip-streaming the installation with the latest SP and fixes is the best way to go IMO. The problem with WUS and things like that is that the system will be on the network an unprotected until you tell WUS to go an update it. On slow links, the download part can still cause issues.

This is the best answer IMO. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;828930

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    mo: He's looking for a "portable" solution... On CD... WUS is a nice way to get them all in the same place.... Then he can copy them to the CD's....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

If you have a laptop, setup WUS or SUS on the laptop and then it is portable?

Then you just have to point the workstation to your portable update server. If you don't want to haul around a hub/switch and they have no network, then you can use a crossover cable.

Then you've got a Windows update server that is portable.

You can setup sus or wus on an xp or 2k workstation. You just have to hack up the install.msi to ignore OS requirements. I've posted on that before.

You can also just burn the updates to a CD like TS said. You'll have to install them manually as far as I know.

You can also check out autopatcher.com

They are several patches behind though...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a thought, but they have a download center at
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en

You have to go through and pick out what you want to download, it's not all there for you like the update service itself but it gives you all the offline/network install versions of the SP's and any other patches you search for. Once you have the executables you can make your CD's however you want.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

Blast From the Past
    i dont have win 2000 server....

so WUS didnt work

but im looking into other ideas mentioned
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Originally posted here by hexadecimal
    i dont have win 2000 server....

so WUS didnt work

but im looking into other ideas mentioned
    You can install it on a non server based OS.

Here is an example of how to install SUS on xp pro.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=264458

EDIT: Ah... I was wrong you can't modify the WUS install. You can use SUS though. It'll work the same. You just wont' have all the reporting functions... which you really don't need on your mobile "windows update".
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by uselinux34
    not sure if this helps or not

http://www.autopatcher.com/

but I've found it very useful
    Hey Hey,

I'm just going to quote this since it seems to have been slightly overlooked. I believe that his site is exactly what you're looking for.. It's windows updates and so much more (I found some pretty cool little windows toys that I hadn't know about previously the first time I used it)... It's not always as up-to-date as it could be but you can't expect them to do it non-stop... It's time consuming to install everything, but it's the most comprehensive patch CD I've seen released.

Peace,
    HT

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    mo: He's looking for a "portable" solution... On CD... WUS is a nice way to get them all in the same place.... Then he can copy them to the CD's....
    Slipstreaming the patches into an installation and then burning that to a cd is about as portable as you can get. WUS is not needed though. Yeah, it is nice in that it can go out and gather everything up for you, but why wouldn't you just go to support.microsoft.com, get the patches you need and then build the installation CD with the patches already included.

If anything WUS is a lot of extra steps. I can go out to support.microsoft.com and download the SP and the appropriate security patches before somebody with no experience with WUS could download it, get it setup, get the patches downlaoded, and then figure out how to get the proper files out of it.

It takes about 2 hours to setup an installation disk that has all of the current service packs and security hotfixes included. Then about 15 minutes each month to add the new hotfixes and re-burn the CD.

If you have a laptop, setup WUS or SUS on the laptop and then it is portable?
    Then you just have to point the workstation to your portable update server. If you don't want to haul around a hub/switch and they have no network, then you can use a crossover cable.
    Then you've got a Windows update server that is portable.
    You can setup sus or wus on an xp or 2k workstation. You just have to hack up the install.msi to ignore OS requirements. I've posted on that before.
    You can also just burn the updates to a CD like TS said. You'll have to install them manually as far as I know.
    With slipstreaming there is no need to carry around multiple cd's, laptops running WUS, and the best part, the system is secured againt the usual network threats from the very first boot. Also, you don't have to manually install the patches, or manually tell the WUS machine to go out and update the newly built machine.

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of time people spend building and then patching new systems when it can all be done in one shot with a couple hours of upfront work. Worst case you have to build a new installation disk every month to keep up with the monthly security patch releases.