Thread: help needed -no booting

help needed -no booting

hi all,
    as i had long weekend decided to "upgrade : my pc.
    bought extra 512mg of ddr and that is probably the easiest task in pc building.
    to put it in.
    (both old and new stick are same brand kingston 3200 400.
    mafter doing that pc doesnt wont to boot any more and i could smell something burning.
    pull the power cable off.removed the new stick as with old one pc was running perfect.but no booting any more.
    on the boothin i get one beep witch last 3-4 seconds and then after few seconds same repeats all the time.
    one beep repeating.
    As i was changing ram modules i am certain that my problem has a lot to do with it.
    i changed the slots of ram stick when started.
    my motherboard is 1 year old asus a7n8x-x .
    have xp athlon 2600 kingston 512 3200 ddr 400
    bios is 2Mb Flash ROM, Award BIOS, TCAV, PnP, DMI2.0, DMI, Green.
    so question is is the motherboard dead???
    RIP
    tried 2100 ddr kingston another sticks but same result- no boot same sound.
    as i know little bit about the hardware9 i built few of them when on the boot it doens pass scan memory that indicate memory problem???what do you think to try first??
    (hate going to pull everything apart but it look like that will be the case))
    thnks

Hi unvi$ible

Your BIOS is telling you that you have a memory error.

Check that they are seated correctly.............be sure that the little locking tabs come up an secure.

Next, try the slots sequentially................Slot 0 would have had your original RAM in it, so should not have been damaged.

I am sorry to say this but the burning smell would suggest that you have fried something. I must admit that poorly installed memory does not normally do this, but it seems the most likely.

If you had disconnected the CPU fan or disturbed the video, I would have expected you to either get nothing at all or further than you do. You get to where memory is being checked from what you say.

Sorry, I guess it sounds like your MoBo is toast

I guess the only thing you might try otherwise is take apart and re-assemble. I doubt if it will work, as you mention the burning smell? but that could just be because you dislodged dust onto the heatsink...........otherwise it sounds as if you compromised something else whilst doing the installation.

I say that because I have never come across a memory installation having the effect you describe in 15 years.

Good luck mate!

tnks
    as i said that is the easiest thing to install.
    i did see some dust on empty ram slots after this happened.maybe was some little chunk of it there and smelled but...then one of my golden little pins on 512 stick is burned.
    well will go hard yakka and start pulling it appart next week.all fans were working ok as i started with case open and monitor my 6 fans
    this motherboard has cop(cpu overheating protection) so cpu is safe at least.
    if any other suggestion guys wold appreciatte .
    but i just look for answer i already knew before.
    nihil thnks will try dismantling everything and start slowlly.
    will try to clean slots with "freeze can spray" to see if dusting go from inside.
    thnks

but...then one of my golden little pins on 512 stick is burned.
    Well that one is almost certainly dead. Was it in the first slot? if so, I guess that is it mate.

If not, try one stick in the first slot (slot 0..........should be closest to the CPU)

Undertaker is the bloke to help on this one, I know bugger all about the internal workings of MoBos, you might be lucky, but if the circuit is broken or the memory controller fried.......that is it I am afraid.

Cheers mate

something buring..burning smell.. ahhh the odor that makes the best tech wish they were a truckie..

Bit hard to say where to start here.. It appears that a lot was done before the memory stick was plugged in..

Your failure could be the PSU having failed (dambed had this happenrecently.. Mobo, cpu, video card..fried) That is it has become unregulated and fried components on one or more of the following supply rails, 3.3v, 5v, or the 12v.

/Edit: Memo to self .. shoot cat later.. finish post now.. I am not yet finished;;

you may be lucky that the failure is just burnt dirt..I doubt..

the burn on one pin of the memory stick does not bear well.

REmove more of what you have on the mobo.. all other boards.. if you can test them in another machine..do this one item at a time.

You will need a DVM (digital Volt Meter), and test the output of the PSU are you looking at 5, 12 3.3..or some other fancy voltages

test the "good"memory in another machine.. but not the Burnt one....yet..

You will need to check your work in the cleanup.. did all the plugs go back correctly.. this includes the little fan plugs.. none of the fans are jambed?

metal shavings?.. any chance of metal shaving, tailings, dust finding its way in the general direction of the Mobo during the cleanup?

I say all this knowiong that you probably have less than 5% chance of it being anything other than a dead mobo, and extras

Are you able to supply a Image of the damaged Ram? (and leave the ewe's out)

Cheers

OK I will shoot the Cat now..
    I misread your first post.. so I take it you were just installing the ram.. no other mods first.
    I suspect that the PSU may have been connected during the Memory swap.. that killed the ram stick and memcontroller.. I still recommend the above proceedure.. including do a BIOS reset.. still rate your chances as very low..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AFLAAACKKK!!
    IMHO, first things first though, We want to get rid of the very annoying improperly installed ram beap code. I would test the ram, on another machine, to make sure at least one stick works, then put the ram stick in slot 0 of the culprit mobo. After the working stick is installed, if you still receive the continuous beep code, instal the working ram in another slot. If you still get the beep code, then the mobo is most likely fried, if you get the beep code to stop, but you still can't get the computer to work properly, then we'll go on from there... If you beep code stops and you see windows splash screen (assuming your using windows) then congrats .
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

well well well
    pc is running and working like a rollex.
    VERY HAPPY HERE.
    went to shop and bought a can of pressurised air.Cleaned ram slots.Put one stick in and when i heard booting sound one little beep i was over the moon.
    (burned stick is out in the rubbish bin even tho i am contemplating taking it to kingston liftime warranty(not sure if it was faulty.)
    but that is irrelevant.
    happy here and ty very much for you quick response.
    Went to shop today to buy anothe motherboard and they didnt have it in stock.(heheh it look like i woulnt need it anyway)
    thnks all

AFLAAACKKK!!
    LOL, wow, the simplest things... Here we are telling you all these technical crap, and all it needed was a cleaning... I think we all learned a little bit today, and something that was taught to most of us, be we all seem to ignore it...

"DON'T OVERLOOK THE OBVIOUS!"
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools