Math?

Thread: Math?

Math?

Here is one for Mathgirl, and anyone who uses the term "Math" instead of "mathematics"

http://www.ynysprydein.org/myth/math_tale.htm

And that is fom Welsh Wales boyos......................where men are men and sheep are nervous

Ack Phttt!

I guess the booze is finally working

I am just curious is it okay to use Maths instead of mathematics??????
    The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=767

Yes, where it is acceptable to use an abbreviation in the first place.

The grammatical point is that a plural noun ending in "s" should also end in an "s", so

Methylated Spirits = "meths"

Mathematics = "maths"

********** |ceWriterguy
    Mathematics is the 'correct' term, although I've seen Maths used frequently in literature. IMHO Maths is an 'intellectual colloquialism' - meaning that the lazier portion of those who speak of mathematics tend to use it, myself included. (I never said I wasn't lazy...)
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Nihil,

I would beg to differ. While you can certainly have one, two or ten Methylated Spirits, you cannot have more than one Math.

BlackIce, I think "Maths" is common in Britain and Australia, whereas americans use "Math".. This point is moot anyway, because I think the term didn't originate in english anyway...
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

///Off topic In my country well as the trend changes its spelling changes one day it's math the other it's maths it' just that most of them here mostly girls do it for show off and if you listen to what Hinglish(Hindi +English+sometimes other languages too) they speak you will surely forget what you already know.Even my English teacher for the past two years didn't know proper english and we use to ask all our doubts to another teacher and i don't know how he got appointed in the first place ///
    The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do.

M3mph15

You are probably getting caught up in the differences between US English and British English?

My argument is:

algebra, arithmetic, geometry, trigonometry etc are collectively, "mathematics", which abbreviates to "maths"

arithmetic is a "mathematic", which abbreviates to "math"

********** |ceWriterguy
    Yes, but:

If more than one goose are geese, why aren't more than one moose called meese?
    And on that same line of thinking, tooth - teeth: toothbrush - toothbrushes...why not teethbreesh?

Gawd I must be bored thinking of this crap.

I swear I'm gonna take up Slavik or Chinese and just completely give up on Anglish... hrm... maybe Swahili...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Thanks Nihil I just guess it is better to use Mathematics