Thread: spam

spam

Ok so the company i work for is looking into gettin some new anti-spam software and after doing a bunch of research into the subject (and getting trial versions of a few programs), i was wondering if there's a site where i can sign up to recieve spam in order to check if the spam filter is any good.

smif123,

Hi and welcome to AO ............you have actually made me a very happy man............."how do I get some spam?"

You will need to set up an e-mail account (no real details..........just fake them) and post on a few websites............not this one , it will not work...........maybe e-bay or auctions, motor part sites, that kind of stuff........then the "bots" will find you

Please make sure that you set you filter to "trap" rather than kill, or drop..............otherwise you will never know.

How does your filter work............if you send me a PM with your target, I can do a very mickey mouse test for you............set up a target account on your e-mail system (no intranet rights!!!!!!!!!!)

Then I can try sending, and we will see if the filter catches them?

Best thoughts at this time of night/alcohol level

Good luck mate

Hoopy Frood
    To add to what nihil said, I find that posting on guestbooks on websites works very well.

To quote 419Eater.com Scambaiting FAQ:
    Question.
    How do I get a 419 scammer to contact me, I'd love to get stuck into this scam baiting sport?!

Answer.
    Well, you are probably one of the lucky ones who haven't received any contact from them yet! I find the best place to harvest scammers is Internet guest books. Open up a Search Engine, such as Google or Altavista and type in a search phrase like the following (not including the speech marks), "guestbook +guymen +mugu" this should bring up many sites containing guest books. Pop over to maybe 10 - 25 of the guestbooks and enter some brief details, of course not forgetting to enter your scam harvesting email address! Within a few days (sometimes a lot less) you should start receiving your invitations to share millions!

Note: I DO NOT advocate guestbook spamming. If you do decide to place your email address onto a guestbook to harvest scammers, please enter something like 'nice site', 'great work' or words to that effect. Remember that the guestbook belongs to a innocent party. I always take time to look through a site if I intend to leave anything in a guestbook.
    http://www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Re: spam

Originally posted here by smif123
    Ok so the company i work for is looking into gettin some new anti-spam software and after doing a bunch of research into the subject (and getting trial versions of a few programs), i was wondering if there's a site where i can sign up to recieve spam in order to check if the spam filter is any good.

Add this service to your trial runs...

MailArmory

I have a few clients using this service and am getting super feedback.

Washes mail for spam and virus allows per user configurations.

Requires a DNS edit to use the service....FYI

Okay,

Here are some good instructions. If you want to be informed daily and watch the different methods for pishing, spam and other fraud activities you can have a look at the spam examples and other fraud methods used here at www.fraudwatchinternational.com

For the best results using your spam filters I suggest to look at the fraudwatchinternational and setup some emails at your company. Try to create more subjects for fraud like "Your account will be disabled" or "We need your confirmation" or "Ebay User Verification" or "PayPal Account Verification" got the ideea untill now ? and create a HTML based message and send them to your email accounts. With what to do that, I mean with what programs, you can use some powerfull programs like those : write on google.com "Advanced Mass Sender 4.3" or "Easy Mass Mailer", send them to your email account in order to see how efective are your spam filters.

After you verify the delivery of those kind of messages in your company emails, you can setup much better the filters. It's really easy to protect your company emails if you can see the subject email of the spammers. And also you can permit only emails from important companyes like EBAY or PayPal from their correct addresses like spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com and the correctly message subject. It is not the best method in the world for fighting against spam but is definetely a very good one. For a small company is much easier to fight against spam then big email companyes like earthlink, yahoo, microsoft and so on... Also it could be a very good ideea to create a small banner or message when your clients access their own mailbox like "REMEMBER THAT NO BIG COMPANY WILL EVER ASK YOU DETAILS REGARDING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION, CREDIT CARD AND USER - THEY ALREADY KNOW THEM".

I guess those are the main ideeas that every small and medium company should have them as a guide in the fight against spam and other fraud methods.