Thread: commands to start and stop programs

commands to start and stop programs

Hey,

sorry about the lame arse title, my heads defitiate of any meaningful words due to previously writing 8,000 words in the space of 12hrs (must check of them, there probably utter bullshit)

anyway!

Yea I've got a processor intensive program that I want to run and get some data from, however I want to be able to run it a couple of times with different variables, but I want to be able to with a command or a script automatically detect when the last program exits and then kick off the new one.

so wanna do something like this -->

program1 runs ---takes time to compute--->exits ---->shell starts up program2

Can you think of a way to do this in both MS-DOS and also Linux, im planning on knocking together a cluster (clusterknoppix) in the next couple of days to compute something that normally takes 7hrs, but im going away so its a good oppurtunity to leave the computers running and getting me the data I want them to!

Cheers in advance, its more the linux way of doing things im interested in

thanks!

i2c

In dos, you just create a batch file with two commands you want to run (i.e. two executable programs) and they will run consecutively (not concurrently), and of course, name it with a .bat extension.

So if you want to run two programs, hello.exe and bye.exe, your batch file should look like this:

Code:
    hello.exe
    bye.exe
    And that's it. From the command line, just run your file with the .bat extension and voila.

In linux, I it's the same thing using scripts

[edit] Make sure that you set executable permissions on the script you created: chmod +x File [/edit]

-ik

p.s. here's a link to bash scripting for reference:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

Oh dear what a pleb I am! of course.....

Iron-Kurton thanks for you help

i2c

Re: commands to start and stop programs

Originally posted here by i2c

Can you think of a way to do this in both MS-DOS and also Linux, im planning on knocking together a cluster (clusterknoppix)
    Are you going to cluster Linux and Windows/DOS together? If so Can you tell me what you are using. I'm thinking cross platform clustering. Perhaps I'm missing something?

/edit: I didnt think knoppix works on windows

Nope im not cross clustering, I didnt beleive that was possible with the windows operating system? I didnt even think clustering was possible with windows? Maybe in the server edition, but im not sure I dont tend to use windows for much other than surfing and word processing these days.

knoppix is a bootable CD distribution, you put it in boot it up and volia you have a linux operating system without installing anything, its a very cool toy, check it out

i2c

i2c:

Somewhere in the back of my head I remember reading about clustering processors

Did a search and found this thread

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ster+processor

Just wondering if you were doing cross clustering. I learned about knoppix here at AO and have found it a most useful tool... (Sweet Dude)

Anyway, just thought you found something that clustered workstations. I don't think it's possible either.

edit: yes you can cluster windows servers. I have four servers two each in a cluster.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by i2c
    Nope im not cross clustering, I didnt beleive that was possible with the windows operating system? I didnt even think clustering was possible with windows? Maybe in the server edition, but im not sure I dont tend to use windows for much other than surfing and word processing these days.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...ng/default.asp

We use it for a couple of things... We used to have a couple of NT4 clusters but these all got migrated to win2k.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.