Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will this work

will this work

i was wondering if mounting knoppix over
    another version of linux would remove users and privilages as well as passwords,
    is there an easier way to do this? Godsrock37
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    So you mean doing a hard drive install over another Linux install?

hehehe you said "mounting".

I'm with irongeek, what do you mean? You want to migrate from another flavor of linux to Knoppix?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I think he wants to use knopix to hack another linux, much like you would use knoppix to get the sam file in windows...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Yes it will work

i2c

what i want i want to do is essentially use Knoppix from a flavor of linux without rebooting. its a server so i dont want to interrupt. the main point is that i want to be able to erase permisions and passwords and not interrupt ip tables, website hosting, and etc. srry for not being clear thnx for all the help so far all
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

If you have legitimate access to the server, ie, root, you can already do this without Knoppix.

:P

Script Kiddie...

yes, Knoppix will run on linux, I have used it on Mandrake, Red Hat and others, since it runs on memory and has nothing to do with what is on the h/d. If you are trying to hack into passwords on a Linux system there are better ways to do it.

what would be an easier way to get passwords and admin? At the moment im only testing on my own box. lol, im not a malicious hacker trying to deface property. I was just learning to hack my own box and practicing on my own network at the moment. thnx for all the help so far.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I think you are asking if, while a linux server is running, you can insert the Knoppix CD and launch it to use it's tools. -No-

At least as not as far as I know. Knoppix is a 'Live CD' distribution of linux...meaning the OS boots off of the CD. That means you have to BOOT the system...if its already running...its already been booted...off of the harddrive.

To learn how to get passwords to accounts, for the purpose of priviledge escalation, do a search here on Password Cracking.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore