Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer crash but Num Lock key reamins lit up....

Computer crash but Num Lock key reamins lit up....

Recently my computer has been automatically shutting or itself down, or crashing. There is no warrning about the computer shutting down it simply shuts off, like someone has hit the power button. The odd part is that the Num Lock key stays illuminated when this happens...I am not sure what is causing it, if anyone out here in the great tech community has a/an comment or answer for me I would appreciate all the info that you could provide. I can provide the specs if needed.

TheRouter
    Life is like an incessant series of problems, all difficult, with brutal choices, and a time limit. The worst thing you can do is to make no choice, waiting for the ideal conclusion to present itself. The conclusion has to come from yourself. A formed idea that you know the difference between right an wrong.

********** |ceWriterguy
    I can provide the specs if needed.
    Yes, please do. The example you gave us is like saying 'I wrecked my car but the turn signal still works.'
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Hi, there are two major culprits:

Malware and Heat...................I will guess heat at first.....................

Try cleaning it out, and with the case off, see that the fans work.............

How long does this take to happen?...........first minute ........10 minutes, or random?

Take a good look at your CPU and video card fans please.

Are you overclocking?

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    The other thing to watch out for is your power saving settings.... under display properties, look at your power management....

If you computer is set to suspend or the most common problem, turn off harddisks, then this may be the cause. Typically these settings should work, but on older machines, its hard and near impossible to start the system normally after they are used.

The only power management i really use is turning off the monitor. The rest you dont really need.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Here are the specs:

AMD Athlon XP-2800+, 2.60 GHz 466 FSB____
    PCChipS 841LM, DDR/SDRAM _
    ThermalTake Volcano 2____
    512MB SDRAM, PC2100____
    512MB SDRAM, PC2100____
    1.44MB Floppy Drive (BLACK)____
    WD 200GB 7200RPM, ATA100____
    WD 200GB 7200RPM, ATA100____
    52x CD ROM Internal, IDE ( BLACK )____
    48X24X48 Internal IDE w/sfw (BLACK)____
    ATI Radeon 8500LE, 128MB DDR, Dual, CRT/DVI, TV Out____
    Audigy Gamer 32-Bit 3D/Surround Sound____
    56K V.90 Fax/Data/Voice Modem____
    100/10 BaseT Ethernet Port____
    __Standard 300W ATX POWER SUPPLY____
    Windows XP Professional w/Microsoft Original CD Package____

And I clean my system out with compressed air on a frequent basis, I am not overclocking anything to my knowledge. And my power settings are set to "Never" meaning never shut off right? And the shutdown happens at random....I have ran for three days, then for 1 hour and nothing happen then start it up and start in on something and it will shut off, no warrning, not prompt telling me it is going to shut down, it just goes down. And as i stated in my first post, the number locks key will stay lit up. Odd isnt it? Keeps the tips and help coming...I wish to correct this problem, cause as yo see by the specs, it is a fairly nice system, and it simply shouldnt be crashing or anything.

TheRouter
    Life is like an incessant series of problems, all difficult, with brutal choices, and a time limit. The worst thing you can do is to make no choice, waiting for the ideal conclusion to present itself. The conclusion has to come from yourself. A formed idea that you know the difference between right an wrong.

********** |ceWriterguy
    That helps. Now we move on to malware since it seems you have eliminated the heat issues. Could you please post a HiJackThis log here?

If you don't have the software yet, you can get it here:
    http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

Warning: Don't try to fix anything with this tool until after you post it here and get good advice!

[edit]As an afterthought, I ask this too: Are you getting any error messages when it shuts down? BSOD? Or is it just going dark?

If error messages, it's a windows issue and we'll deal with it a different way. If it's just going black and restarting, it could be a number of things, all malware.[/edit]

[moredit]After reading through your configuration I offer this strong advice as well: Update Windows. Do it as soon as (the first thing you do after) we fix the malware issue. If you're on dialup don't plan on having phone access for awhile - I used to do my updates overnight while sleeping in the days before I got broadband.[/moredit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

AFLAAACKKK!!
    If it turns out you have no malware, it's most likely a hardware problem. My first guess would be a faulty PSU or inconsistant mobo (probably damaged by heat, though you say all fans are working...). How long have you had this computer?
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Exclamation

Easy enough, change the power supply to a quality one. Add a bit more wattage to it if you can.

Edit:
    Okay, get an Antec power supply, they're really quiet.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Here is the Hijack this Log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 12:38:29 AM, on 3/16/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\MediaDet.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSNMSLOG.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\TaskBar\CTLTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\TaskBar\CTLTask.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntvdm.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\msoffice.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Abf85h.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTSVCCDA.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\SzkVhY.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\mdm.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\winzip32.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\oem\Local Settings\Temp\HijackThis.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Search_URL = http://minisearch.startnow.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = about:blank
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
    O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\COMPAN~1\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Disc Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINDVDPatch] CTHELPER.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sureshotpopupkiller] "C:\Program Files\Stop-the-Pop-Up\stopthepop.exe" -minimized
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [4AC4YR@3AE@5PA] C:\WINDOWS\System32\KfmJ8U3.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Messenger Connection Log] MSNMSLOG.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TaskTray] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\TaskBar\CTLTray.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TaskBar] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\TaskBar\CTLTask.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI Launchpad] "C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\launchpd.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Messenger Connection Log] MSNMSLOG.EXE
    O4 - Startup: Mopy Points Collector.lnk = C:\MOPYFISH\GETPOINT.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: ATI CATALYST System Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
    O9 - Extra button: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4edc-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\TV\EXPLBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes0521.dll
    O9 - Extra button: ICQ Pro - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\PROGRA~1\ICQ\ICQ.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'c:\program files\newdotnet\newdotnet6_38.dll' missing
    O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Checkers - http://download.games.yahoo.com/game...ts/y/kt3_x.cab
    O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Pool 2 - http://download.games.yahoo.com/game...s/y/potc_x.cab
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...38&clcid=0x409
    O16 - DPF: {27527D31-447B-11D5-A46E-0001023B4289} (CoGSManager Class) - http://gamingzone.ubisoft.com/dev/pa.../GSManager.cab
    O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/S...in/AvSniff.cab
    O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/ca...C_1_0_0_44.cab
    O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/...eInstaller.exe
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...?1093050979843
    O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/S.../bin/cabsa.cab
    O16 - DPF: {70BA88C8-DAE8-4CE9-92BB-979C4A75F53B} (GSDACtl Class) - http://launch.gamespyarcade.com/soft...ch/alaunch.cab
    O16 - DPF: {AE1C01E3-0283-11D3-9B3F-00C04F8EF466} (HeartbeatCtl Class) - http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/heartbeat.cab
    O16 - DPF: {B9191F79-5613-4C76-AA2A-398534BB8999} (YAddBook Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yaho...tocomplete.cab
    O16 - DPF: {CC05BC12-2AA2-4AC7-AC81-0E40F83B1ADF} (Live365Player Class) - http://www.live365.com/players/play365.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{98C80768-A60F-4521-8C4B-B078418070E4}: NameServer = 209.251.2.100,209.251.2.101
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTSVCCDA.EXE
    O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: RadClock - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\RadClock.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
    O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
    O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

I have broadBand DSL 976k SWEET!

I do not believe that any of my hardware is damaged, however i wont count it out just yet.

I believe that the power source is fine.

TheRouter

Just Another Geek
    Alright, a couple of things I noticed that don't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling... They might be something nasty... I could be wrong though and it's good to wait until someone else responds before removing them

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Abf85h.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\SzkVhY.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [4AC4YR@3AE@5PA] C:\WINDOWS\System32\KfmJ8U3.exe
    The updreg may not be mallware, I'm not sure. The others are rather strange and very questionable.. There might be more, you have a lot of stuff installed and running..

You may need to boot into safe mode before removing them.

You could also try one of the online scanners...
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.