Computer Terms Defined

Thread: Computer Terms Defined

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄

Computer Terms Defined

I came across this while looking for something else and thought it might help some of the less knowledgeable members like myself...

http://employee.okccc.edu/stafftrain...uterTerms.html
    Computer Terms

Eg

Hi Egaladeist,

Nice find.

In addition, I really recommend webopedia[1]!

And - if an article is written, and excellent source is
    the wikipedia[2]! Today, it extremely helped me to
    understand an issue.

Cheers.

P.s. I checked a few terms and have to say, that your
    link seems to explain terms in more simpler words.

[1] http://www.webopedia.com
    [2] http://www.wikipedia.com
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

and some are just plain out of date..

some term confusion

Anti-Glare Screen
    A transparent screen that fits over the front of a monitor. It decreases the amount of light reflected off the computer screen to reduce eye strain.
    this is realy a Filter.. an anti glare screen has a coating on the glass to reduce the reflections (scatter the ambient light rather than reflect)

This one made me chuckle
    Auto-Save
    When your computer thoughtfully saves your work every few minutes, all by itself.
    must train my beaste to be so thoughtful..

the bad disk and sector reminded me of an old joke.."down Boy"

Network Administrator
    A technical expert who is responsible for overseeing a computer network. This can include restoring the network if it goes down, installing software, checking for viruses, making backups, and answering questions.
    **** we better stop that last part from spreading..

Pentium
    The preferred chip for Windows computers today, due to its high speed and performance. Produced by Intel, the Pentium processes information twice as fast as the 486 chip it replaces. If you're shopping for a PC and can afford it, buy a computer with a Pentium CPU. See also 586 CHIP and CPU.
    oh ****.. I am killing myself here

Sound Card
    A special card that turns your computer's bleeps and blurps into thundering booms and bangs. Besides improving sound quality, a sound card also lets you use speakers, a stereo, or a microphone with your computer.
    Toolbar
    A horizontal strip of buttons near the top of a window that provides shortcuts for commonly used commands. Some programs let you hide or display the toolbar, and even mix and match buttons to create a personal toolbar. Also called a button bar.
    I didnt realise there were so many Bars in computers.. is that why I'm drunk most of the time

Window NT
    Stands for Windows New Technology (NT). A program that targets the top 10 percent of computer users who need a powerful operating system. Unlike Windows 3.1 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11, this program is a true operating system because it does not need MS-DOS to operate. Windows NT lets you exchange information through a network. It also provides security features to protect information and lets you use up to 255 characters to name a document.
    hmmm hey Gore, vln, nihil, TS.. neg, msm, CW..... name this document (ok that is only 7 characters I can think of)

World Wide Web (WWW)
    The fastest-growing and most user-friendly section of the Internet that lets you access text, graphics, sound, and even video. Many groups, companies, and individuals provide "pages" of free information on the WWW.
    hmm it was written in the days of inocense

Unix
    A powerful operating system used in high-end workstations and computer systems on the Internet. It allows a single computer to operate multiple programs and be accessed by other computers, all at the same time
    hmmm Linus was not mentioned
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Google

Hey Eg~,

Nice link mate!... It would be really helpful some time to come....
    But have you ever used google to find definition and terms, I bet you did!...

Use this method {Google Operator} to have best definitions ever:

define: here goes the word you seek
    For Instance:
    Define: Hacking

Nice tip right????.....

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi sec_ware,

Normally I do use Webopedia and Wikipedia but mostly I use Dictionary.com and Urban Dictionary that comes with the Firefox browser in QuickSearches.

Hi Und3rtak3r,

Now why did I know that you'd get a kick over how out-dated this list is ! Brings back memories...eh?

Hi Black Cluster,

Yep...I've used Google too...but thanks!

Network Administrator
    A technical expert who is responsible for overseeing a computer network. This can include restoring the network if it goes down, installing software, checking for viruses, making backups, and answering questions.
    I love answering questions. Usually the answer is that the sub harmonic phase inducer was out of alignment.

It is a worry that the document that I had fun with is quoted as being staff a training doc at a Community College. And that same college recieved PRESIDENT'S AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN TEACHING..
    As a document to give absolute computer illiterates I would describe it as a helpful start..

oh dinowulf .. I prefer Induction Direction Input Output Terminator..or just Plain old ID-ten-T error or PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr