Thread: Debian use grows because SUSE isn't German anymore??

Debian use grows because SUSE isn't German anymore??

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/lin...9191002,00.htm

This has me thrown back a bit...Apparently even though Novell kept all the employees from SUSE and all of them still live in Germany, people are getting rid of SUSE for Debian and using German companies in Germany for Support? Hmm, and I thought it was over for Hitler after WW2

In other new Debian drops both Sparc and Mainframe support for Debian Linux, which SUSE can run on both and DOES so very very well. Nice time to switch wasn't it?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/14/debian_reduced/

The Debian GNU/Linux project has proposed axing the number of computer architectures for which it actively develops, with Sparc and IBM's S/390 amongst the casualties.

Debian release manager Steve Langasek made the announcement on a mailing list last night.
    Darn, a casualty for us all Don't let the full sized spinning HD hit you on the way out.

The four architectures to survive are Intel x86, AMD64, PowerPC and … IA-64. Itanic? The latter seems a fortunate candidate for survival: Microsoft recently dropped Windows XP for IA-64, and hardware vendors including IBM and HP have axed IA-64 systems from key product lines. Perhaps the recent surge in sales can explain it: Dell shipped 1,371 Itanium servers last year and in 2004, between 26,005 and 33,623 Itanic servers left the dock, depending on whose numbers you believe.

Ports released include SPARC, ARM, MIPS, PA-RISC and S/390. The platforms may be supported in some form, but will no longer be included as part of Debian's famously exhaustive development process.

Sun is listed as a Debian development partner; and the chip on which Sun is now betting the farm, Niagara, was developed by Les Kohn's team at Afara using Debian.
    Stick THAT in your non free tree and hang yourself from it. I just hope all those people who ditched SUSE for Debian use a lot of Sparcs and Mainframes.

Oh and how could I forget RedHat:

Latest statistics for the Web server market show that Fedora, Red Hat's free Linux operating system, is growing in popularity. But the picture isn't quite so rosy for its enterprise offering

The number of Web servers running Red Hat's free operating system Fedora has more than doubled over the last six months as the market share of the company's paid operating system steadily declines, according to a survey released on Monday.

Who would have thought???

I mean damn redhat you tell all the people who made you what you are today to piss off and do it on their foot, and say now you must pay and then it comes back to you.... Oh and thanks much for NO ****ING UPGRADE PATH FROM REDHAT.... I'd tip my hat but you know, it may cause a Kernel Panic.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/lin...9191322,00.htm

Banned
    This has me thrown back a bit...Apparently even though Novell kept all the employees from SUSE and all of them still live in Germany, people are getting rid of SUSE for Debian and using German companies in Germany for Support? Hmm, and I thought it was over for Hitler after WW2
    Gore... you being "German"
    You should know that a German will rather use a crappy German product than switch to a superior other-country product
    American pride pales next to German pride...

Anyways... most government agencies are "obligated/required/whateveryouwannacallit" to use domestic products... If an American government agency has the choice between a foreign product and a domestic product, and those products are equal in quality, the American government agency is going to pick the American product (oh wait... maybe not in America... forgot that positive discrimination is a big thingy here).

The article talks about German government agencies... it'd be like American police driving Porsches, even though everyone knows that Porshes are superior to any American crap the police could ever drive... it's just not done... and stuff like that

Hahaha. You're learning fast for a new American. But still, SUSE is still German, the developers are are still the same ones from when SUSE was just SUSE. But I'd be a bitch saying I don't understand what you meant. It's like me picking RedHat over sUSE, or a Pinto over a BMW.

Banned
    A Pinto over a BMW... now that's humor

It's not German-owned anymore, so it's not German... that's how it works nowadays, Gore... Levi's are "American" - who cares that they're made in sweatshops in malalahd-wherever, and that Wal-mart owns Levi's. It's going to be the downfall of Levi's (they used to be a quality brand, made in America, and now they're nothing anymore... $5-buck jeans, made in who-knows-where), though, so maybe there's still hope. "American-developed, American-made, American-everything" is going to be a status-symbol pretty soon... and people are going to (have to!) pay big bucks for it. Even American Flyer sold out... they're being made in whoknowswhocareswhateverwhere... someone needs to step up and raise the prise on American products. If I would own American Flyer, I would keep production right here and raise their price by 200% - make it a status symbol.. make it one of the few (only?) products of which people can say "this thing is made in America!", and they'll pay big bucks for it...

I don't know, NASA space training was in Georgia wasn't it? I'm not sure I'd want that at all. Can you think of people there, in that redneck state, flying space craft?

Neggy, how about you and me start a business? We can make two lines, one German made one American made, take over the market, and with my mobster like BOFH skills no one would rip us off!

"American Made" would mean getting rid of the environmentalist strangle hold in this country.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.