Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a server?

so why couldnt just an external hard drive be used as servers. Not go through all that money to have a box be a server. I have an external hardrive with all my goodies on it and i just mount it in all the directories around my own network.

Whats the diff?

Exclamation

The NAS devices I mentioned do a bit more than simply store, they have a version of Linux OS installed. That shouldn't have been a part of this discussion, So I better retract the above statement that NAS are servers, they are better looked at as storage, as the name explicitly says.

Note that Servers have a CPU or some processing unit (print server) in order to get it's job done.

The external hard drive does not qualify as a Server. The external harddrive cannot arbitrate the simultaneous usage of files between users, it cannot think, it is simply an external harddrive.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Ninja Code Monkey
    It really depends on the context of the word. You may be talking about a piece of physical hardware such as a server machine, or you may be talking about software in the form of a process that provides some sort of service to other clients.

That's what it all basically adds up to, a piece of hardware or software that provides a service of some kind to clients (hard or soft).
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Originally posted here by mathgirl32
    Memory, you missed my title:

0\/\/|\|3d by Negative

Men rule the world. I am my master's servant.
    NSFW - well If your gonna do everyone asked off you you might as well look the part

edit >> omg that "everyone" was suppoused to be "everything" worst typo ever >.<

v_Ln

********** |ceWriterguy
    [wayofftopic]Whilst we're hijacking the thread...

Gentlemen, ladies, and others we're not quite sure of, I give you Nature.

Consider, for a moment, if you will, a pride of Lions. The alpha male of said pride enjoys his position by lazing about in the shade while his lionesses fetch him food. He rises only when his pride is threatened by outsiders, most especially by other male lions. The females not only tend to the rearing of their young, they stalk, capture and kill food as well.

Now we leave our lions to proceed onward virtually any warm blooded creature of your choosing - they're all male dominated. In the avian world, the males have the brightest colors, and do little of the nest-sitting during egg hatching season. One rooster rules the henhouse.

Enough Wild Kingdom - I submit to you that male dominance is the natural order of things. MathGirl is perfectly correct in her submission to Negative, so long as he never (and I'm sure he won't) abuses that power he's been given.

"But what's in it for me then?" I've been asked countless times when discussing such beliefs with females. I give them all the same textbook response I'll post here for your benefit. "If the male is wise and worthy, he will provide you with everything you shall ever need, some of what you want, and nothing bad; He will strive to give you a life free of worry and fear, and make you want for nothing."

In this mixed-up society in which we live today, I fail to find many males of our species who can live up to such duties. I also find many females who try to fill that male role. Any examples of this I could cite would be portrayed as quite unhappy, as I've failed to meet any truly happy couple in such a situation.

Having the final 'Yea or Nay' on things doesn't make us Gods - it makes us male, pure and simple. We men are still quite human; quite capable of errors in both decision and judgement. It is wisdom which guides us to listen to all inputs before making that final decision, and wisdom which leads us to act accordingly with both respect and kindness to our partners. [/wayofftopic]

[ontopic]What is a server? Easy - a server is a computer, nothing more. It provides files, softwares, data, routing, or whatever to a network of machines. It allows for the sharing of resources within a network, either by allowing the software it provides to be run on it (server-centric networking - hogs bandwidth), or by providing files integral to normal operations of the network (file server, data server). Usually, but not always, a server is the fastest, most powerful computer on a network, or should be. One might use a dual-processor 3.2 Ghz box set up with RAID 5 to run an entire lumber yard/hardware store, controlling all POS transactions, inventory, etc., networked through some intelligent terminals, some semi-intelligent terminals, and some dumb ones. In the example I cited, intelligent terminals would sit in 'the office' where bookkeeping takes place, and software needs to be run on the terminal with file access to the server, and the boss wants to surf the internet. Semi-intelligent terminals at each POS station which record on the spot transactions then dump them to the server at close of business, and dumb terminals in the receiving department where a clerk uses her UPC scanner to record new merchandise directly into the system. Sometimes servers take other forms than the 'computer look' - for example a print server, which controls access to one printer and allows the network to use it, can be so small as to fit in your shirt pocket, or as large as a typical desktop box. I use my old 286 for my print server.

Hope that answered your question. [/ontopic]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    While all of what I said is true (and the answer lies is Ayn Rand's AtlasShrugged) .....

I want to apologize for hijacking this thread. It was a Becks Beer induced post. Anyway, the thread started with a decent question and a lot of good answers. So, I apologize for detracting from that.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Behind every strong man lies.... am empty glass of beer, waiting to be filled once again.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.