Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do I Find Hacker's IP Address?

Hi, ikalo

Yes, you are suggesting that the box needs to be secured, or it will happen again. This is very true, but we will need to know a lot more about how it happened to advise on that one. There are some good tutorials and hints and tips on this site already.

For example, if the attacker has physical access, then a physical solution will be required (don't wear your best silk shirt )

Sure, I agree entirely that the reformat re-install route is very tedious, but I did state that it was the "textbook" answer.

The real problem is that we do not know enough of the circumstances to give much more than general advice?...................if it is just room-mates at college messing around, it is a bit different from someone in an online gaming clan (those guys can get really intense?)

I think that we have to accept a back-door as being almost inevitable in these circumstances?

In the end, the re-format and re-install may be the quickest and easiest route.............it is certainly the most secure.

Cheers

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by nihil

This is a hitherto secret anti-malware tool known in the trade as the "Glaswegian Kiss" after the fair city of Glasgow, Scotland where the technique was devised and perfected.

(Hint: don't wear your best silk shirt............the blood spatter tends to get everywhere until you have mastered the technique)

Good luck
    Thank you nihil -now everybody knows. Secret no longer
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Hihil:
    Yes, you are apsolutely right. Formating is sometimes the quickest method.
    Like you said, we need much more details. And I'm eager to hear them.
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

Further to Nihil's post

2. Format the hard drive and re-install your operating system.
    2a. Don't use the same passwords that you had on the old machine. Pick new, good quality passwords. If it's your home PC, consider different account name as well.

No different than changing the locks on your house if you thought someone stole your keys.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: How Do I Find Hacker's IP Address?

Originally posted here by georgie22
    My computer is being hacked into and has been for quite some time. Last night I finally figured out who it was and pretty well got a confession. How do I get his IP address so I can block him from my computer?
    How do you know? What leads you to this conclusion, apart from a confession.

Define"hacked into" from your standpoint. e.g. what's happening on your machine, etc, etc, etc
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Just Another Geek
    Brilliant 14 responses and the OP still has to make his second post on AO
    I love this place
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.