Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IP Locator Question...

greeting's

rockypoint I went through one of your posts where you have mentioned that BOTH NORTON AND PANDA anti-virus scan showed a virus free system. Well i do not know wheather you have both of them installed on your system but if you have then just an advise that it is not recommended to install 2 anti-virus at the same time as they can and may cause a system crash, use up lot of memory (Esp. Norton) and more importantly they may interfere in each other's working.

However if you scanned your computer online at respective site's then it is okay. or even if you have one of the anti-virus installed and you scanned at one of the site then it is a nice and advisable practise (to use online scan as a backup to an installed anti-virus)..

Just pointing this out (just an advice) ... anyway it is nice to hear that your system is virus free.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

re: virus scans

I followed Symantec's "virus" removal instuctions: intelligent update, shut down system restore, run scan in safe mode. To be on the safe side, I also ran a second scan. I then went to Panda online--which located adware. Otherwise, virus free.

Trojan Remover (unregistered) has given me a clean slate. So too does Anti-Keylogger.

IP Locator still has me traced to Australia, though. However, using the links graciously provided in this thread, all report back to my internet provider. Hopefully, all is well.

I also tinkered with "ping" on my windows command prompt...However, I had no clue as how to use the "ping" command--and merely ended up with "error" or "no such command" messages. I am not sure whether or not this would have been useful. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

For ping info, just enter "ping" (without the quotes of course) into the command prompt and press enter. The help file will pop up and explain the options.

In it's simplist form:

ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX then press enter

X's being the ip address ie: 192.168.2.1

Also, the Sam Spade program you downloading has a ping feature as well. Just enter the IP in the white bar on the left and press the ping button.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

re:ping

I tried "pinging" on command prompt...didn't seem to work. After ping, I got a list of different options...I also tried pingxxx.xx.xxx.xxx but received an error message. I must be doing something wrong in typing in the command.

Immediately after, I googled "ping", and this site was immediately listed:

http://network-tools.com

Using "trace", the result is as follows:

TraceRoute to xx.xx.xxx.xxx[cpe-xx-xxx.xx.xxx.com]

Hop (ms) (ms) (ms) IP Address Host name
    1 0 0 0 xxxxxxxxxxx gphou-xxxxxxxxx1.net
    2 0 0 0 xxxxxxxxxxx gphou-xxxxxxxxx.ev1.net
    3 0 0 0 xxxxxxxxxxx gphou-xxxxxxxxx6.ev1.net
    4 1 1 1 xxxxxxxxxxx ge-xxxxxxxxxxxus.bb.verio.net
    5 10 10 10 xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxus.bb.verio.net
    6 7 7 7 xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.verio.net
    7 7 7 7 xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx.us.bb.verio.net
    8 11 8 7 xxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx.qwest.net
    9 42 42 42 xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx.qwest.net
    10 42 42 42 xxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.net
    11 94 94 94 xxxxxxxxxxxxx- No Host Listed
    12 95 95 95 xxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.rr.com
    13 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
    14 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
    15 Timed out Timed out Timed out -
    16 Timed out Timed out Timed out -

Trace aborted.

Mind you, I have no idea what exactly all of this means. From what I gather, these are all of the places my internet connection travelled (hops?) until finally reaching its final destination.

Strangely enough, one of the first IP Address' listed appeared to be from Australia. I need to double check. Perhaps this is were IPLocator is reading?

Then again, I still have my initial question: Why Australia? And why do other computers (using IPLocator) trace back to Virginia, while *this* one stops in for an Aussie summer?

Sorry for the awful table. Formatting didn't work.

Exclamation

Rocky,

My check of your IP shows you on Road Runner service in Oahu, Hawaii.

Herdon, Virginia is home base for Road Runner.

As for Australia, it's just a bad dns reply, it'll fix itself.

ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Thanks to everyone who provided online support. Aloha.

Back home in Virginia!