Thread: Drive mapping

Drive mapping

First, I know enough about computers to really mess them up without much effort and against my better judgement and common sense I agreed to help a friend who owns a small business.

She has two computers networked together with a crossover cable, one has 2k3 small business server as an os and the other is XP pro sp2, both are used as workstations, she has a patient database program that can run on multiple workstations and share a single database, the database itself is on the 2k3 box, when I installed the program on the XP box I had to map to the database on the 2k3 box and everything works just fine but whenever the XP box is rebooted it loses the mapping or whatever you want to call it and you have to remap the drive, my question is, is there anyway to make this permenant?

Second question, the printer is shared through the 2k3 box and whenever one is shut down the XP box must reconnect to the 2k3 box, the office ladies would like very much not to have to do this, is there anyway to automate it? Say with a script? And how would I do that?
    Thank you to whoever can help and while I may not know much about computers I've been fixing Fords for 20 years and if I can answer any questions for you I would be happy to.

When you map the drive, check of the box that says "reconnect at logon".

Its a small business 2k3 server...

You have a very small network... but by any chance are you running active directory?
    Meaning, does the user have to log into the domain?

If so, then you could have logon scripts.

If not, then make sure that both computers have the same usernames and passwords.

Meaning:

xp box may have 3 users

mary
    joe
    sally

set all their passwords

go to the 2k3 box and create those three users

mary
    joe
    sally

Make the passwords the same as what is on the xpbox.

It is much easier to just have a domain, but it may not make much sense since you have such a small network.

Normally you create a domain when there is 10 or more workstations.

I've been setting them up for 5 or more workstations. Its just easier for me and the users.

As for the printer problem...

Don't reboot the computers... lol

Or, get a print server for it and get a switch and plug all three devices into it with patch cables.Then you can map both computers to the same printer through the print server.

pretty easy.

add new local printer, create new port, tcp/ip port, type in ip address, choose correct printer and driver, done.

Now the xp box can print when the 2k3 server is not turned on.

Again, the domain would take care of that too... but you have to leave the 2k3 box on at all times.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AOs Resident Troll
    Mapping is dependant on the user ..so each user on the XP Pro machine will need the mapped drive to be setup...and when you do this tick the little box that says ..(going from memory here so bear with me) reconnect on next logon...or something like that..that should solve it

As for the printing....you have to log on to access shared devices....so if the printer is physically connected to the sbs server...you haave to connect to it to access it???

Or hook it up to the xp machine??

MLF

How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AOs Resident Troll
    Looks like Phish and I posted at the same time....

But I think we are getting at the same thing

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Thank you both, I don't remember seeing a tick box but I'll try your suggestion tomorrow, thank you.