Thread: Lazy malware writers?

Post Lazy malware writers?

The strange decline of computer worms

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03...secure_websec/

Computer worms are becoming less commonplace as virus writers diversify their malware spreading tactics to create the maximum effect for the least possible effort. Email-borne worms, such as NetSky, Bagle and Sober, remain perennial favourites with malware authors but Slammer-style worms are becoming rarer
    instant message security threats are becoming a greater concern. "A worm that exploited an IM vulnerability to spread could spread very quickly and travel straight through firewalls,"
    It's hard to convince endusers that the can get infected using IM, they think we make it up to scare them. I have them go to SARC and search for MSN Messenger. They get the point after that.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Sigh.

It is true that they are getting lazier. I've started searching for some worms and viruses for a class I'm creating for the summer and I've started searching for my old virus cd. I had classics on there like Ambulance, Rain and Joker. No one takes the time to create truly finessed viruses that go beyond "stealing"; you know, the ones that had meaning.

*MEH* I'm old fashioned I think.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    The calm before the storm ?

and I've started searching for my old virus cd.
    Was that one you made yourself ?
    Or did you pick it up as a covermount on Haxxors R us mag
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Was that one you made yourself ?
    Or did you pick it up as a covermount on Haxxors R us mag
    LOL. Naw. When I was an admin and bored I'd go searching online for virus. I eventually had quite a collection and stored them on a CD rom. Took some searching but I finally found it: 37MB+ of viruses from the mid-80s to late 90s (including SirCam, Code Red I and II, along with source for both of those). Me thinks it's time to expand that collection.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

lmfao only a bunch of security people could appreciate a well written virus, and complain that todays programmers are not up to par.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

lmfao only a bunch of security people could appreciate a well written virus, and complain that todays programmers are not up to par.
    E-yup. I remember infecting students machines in one course in the late 90s (the course was a Systems Integration course and they had to build a network that supported Novell, NT, Win 95/98/NT WKS along with print and file sharing). I usually picked Ambulance (which is why I remember it the most). It was kinda neat to see that little cartoon ambulance go across the screen. The other one I picked was Rain (sometimes referred to as Cascade), which would cause characters in Word to drop down -- much like raindrops. It was fun stuff.

X

Most of us will complain about anything..you know that.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Post Talking about classic

MsM,

Talking about old Viri, (in any case) do you have the DOS virus called marawi? I'd remember back in my college life (freshmen I think) when I'm in the computer room doing my C program, suddenly marawi virus will invade the screen of the workstations... one by one it will spread (*sob), still got one copy on my bootable 5 1/2" FLOPPY DISK (it's a legend here in RP). Yeah, those were the old times.

SOURCE - http://www.viruslibrary.com/virusinfo/Marawi.2828.htm
    It is not a dangerous memory resident parasitic virus. It hooks INT 8, 21h and writes itself to the end of COM and EXE files that are executed. Some time after installation it manifests itself with the video effect: it displays the message and draws the picture:
    +----------------------------------------------------+ ¦ Ang VIRUS na ito ay taos-puso naming inaalay kay ¦ ¦ Professor HERMILITO GO ng MSU-IIT. Kung hindi ¦ ¦ dahil sa kanyang KAHAMBUGAN ang VIRUS na ito ay ¦ ¦ hindi maisasakatuparan... ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ Signing off, ¦ ¦ ¦ +----------------------------------------------------+
    It also contains the text strings:
    MSU Philippines BY: Someone of MSU Main Campus, Marawi City
    Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif