Thread: Cryptographically Generated Addresses (CGA)

Cryptographically Generated Addresses (CGA)

Hi have been looking at new MS projects on the works and noticed this little article. Perhaps the more expereinced may want to explain if they have time. I am not that well versed in crypto.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3972.txt

Are they talking about hiding real IP addresses by encrypting them in the near future? Are there any other vendors that make heavily proproetary products that have already implemented something like this?

sweet something new to tinker with. info is good. thanks

Maybe not new info. Maybe it's just part of IPv6. I don't know.

But, unless I am reading this incorrectly, they are using SHA-1. And SHA-1 has already been proven unreliable. If this does become a standard, it won't be for quite a few years, and by then, who knows where SHA-1 will be.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    This is IPv6 specific. Unless you are an early (way, WAY early) adopter, this doesn't offer much value to you.

Basically, it discusses how to send out 'signed' data from an IPv6 node, so that recipients can validate the data. If you want more detail than that, you'll have to learn about crypto, IPv6, and networking theory and practices. More than I know, anyway.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore