Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No License for Office '97?

No License for Office '97?

Gotta strange thing going on here...

First of all, I'm having to rig a wierd software combo. Because of the nature of some of our files, I'm supposed to install both Access '97 and 2000 on certain computers (fun).

Well, all of a sudden, and though it had been working for a while, Access '97 won't work on one employees computer because all he gets is an error message stating there is no license for it. I uninstalled and reinstalled '97 twice, used to different installation CDs, and ran into the same error. No license (keep in mind I have to enter the CD key during installation for the sake of having a license!).

Any ideas?

AOs Resident Troll
    Been there

And believe or not...it all has to do with a font................ hatten

Some tips

Always install the older versions first....and change the default dir from MS Office to Office 97

Then when you install 2000...install into an Office 2000 dir...keeps them seperate.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;141373

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;241141

Have fun...

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well, I uninstalled everything Office, then installed only 97 as a test run...still doesn't work...

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Actually... Uninstalling "everything Office" doesn't uninstall "everything Office" IIRC....

I believe the fix was to uninstall "everything Office", go to explorer and delete "everything Office" then reinstall the lower version. That should make 97 work.... Then take the advice above.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Well, that's exactly what I did actually. I deleted every Office folder in Program Files after uninstalling what was there.

Could there be something in the registry I need to remove perhaps?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    You know what's 'funny".... I used to know this stuff... But since I got employees to deal with it I have forgotten it... I've dealt with this same situation before, a couple of years ago.... But I don't deal with apps and workstation functionality any more.... I can't even make columns in Word... There was a 'trick" to get rid of office and I don't think it was registry..... Sorry...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AOs Resident Troll
    I think MS has a tool on completly removing office now......

I remeber seeing it on the site...how to completely remove office...

going to look about..........

MLF

AK...are you rebooting..checking for that font...It comes back

That's ok Tiger, it's refreshing to know even the Jedi masters forget some of the minor things from time to time.

Thanks guys.

AOs Resident Troll
    Here

Remove office 97 utility

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;176823

I have struggled with this a few time...and every install was different

MLF

Ran into this problem yet again...

It seems I can't install Office '97 on any XP machines without having the same problem. Could it be Office 97 is not compatable with Windows XP?