Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help! my accounts are being tampered with

Need help! my accounts are being tampered with

I am not a computer wiz here, Im not sure if all members here are techs but, I am wondering how I can track down who could be invading my email accounts and either intercepting email, deleting them or re routing them to another account? I have this supiscion because on several "freind ship" sites I had a few emails either asking if I had gotten any emails, why are you ignoring me, or stuff like why I deleted them from a freinds list of mine.... whats going on? This is frustrating. Can anyone help in tracking them down , or at least, help me prevent them?

AOs Resident Troll
    Try changing your passwords...and dont tell anyone them

That should stop it.

As for how to find out...do other people use your computer??

Do you have spam filtering on??

Is this a web based mail...such as hotmail\yahoo..etc

or do you download the mail to your computer.

I have one account where the mail is deleted after 30 days or so if not downloaded

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

How about checking for any spam filters. "friendship" sites could be picked up as spam in most filters, so Id start there rather than freaking out about who is looking at your stuff. Also, change your password if you are worried. Maybe scan for virii and malware. housecall.trendmicro.com offers a great online scanner. and programs like adaware are free and do a great job. so Id start with the basics first instead of assuming somone is out to get you.

EDIT*** looks like MLF beat me to this one by a minute lol.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Some more 'specific' details might help....

Don't post email addresses, IP addresses, usernames or passwords, (if you feel it is pertinent change them but indicate where you changed the information for privacy reasons).

What email system is it, hotmail, msn, yahoo or is it a more "private system" would be a good start.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Well, me and my significant other have been getting into fights lately, we both use the computer. We arent together but she sweears up and down she doesnt get into them. But if so, how would I be able to see?

Er... a million ways.... It's pretty hard to help when you won't be a little more _specific_.

But then again... She had physical access to the box didn't she? Oh well... Nothing much we can do to help... She owns it and you can't/won't offer information we would need to help you....

Is that you, _again_ Rain?
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AOs Resident Troll
    Is that you, _again_ Rain?

ROTFLMAO

Thanks ...I needed that

MLF

You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to Tiger Shark again.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    If you and your SO are no longer together : CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS.

take the advice as given so far, and just run some security tools across your box.
    If you are new to this, then the following link might help.
    A guide to cleaning

It is rarely the worst case scenario that has happened.
    Just try to post details as requested, with details edited :
    ie: softlad.dipstick@coolmail.com to xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx to hide any mail addresses.
    Any more info required, just ask.

Pax
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

That would be:-

A guide to cleaning

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Sorry TS .........
    Jeez, TWO minutes
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone