Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help! my accounts are being tampered with

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I'm fast.... My sweetie told me...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

lol - man I love this place.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Hmmmm,

As there has been physical access, you have to accept the possibility that you have a backdoor, keylogger, and/or some serious spyware on your box.

In that case changing your passwords won't do much for you.

HOWEVER, if you do change your passwords and have the same problem, you will know that there is something of that sort on your box.........so it is a test in itself.

Where there has been physical access I generally go for the "textbook" solution........reformat and reinstall the operating system.

At this stage I would recommend changing the passwords and letting the case develop.

Good luck.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    I am wondering how I can track down who could be invading my email accounts and either intercepting email, deleting them or re routing them to another account?
    Is this a free email service site such as gmail,hotmail, yahoo? or is it from your ISP. Either way what I would recommend is canceling the email account and reopen a whole new one. If you do have malicious code on your PC changing the password wont do anything for this. If you close the account and create a new one you might be in good shape. Also, double check to make sure you don't have your e-mail set to forward email to an different e-mail address. Are you running any e-mail clients?

Computernerd22

There are some problems with what you are suggesting.............DO NOT CLOSE the accounts....they are the "bait" and if they suddenly drop off the radar the attacker knows to look elsewhere. The secret is to keep them guessing?........has he opened a new account and is using a library, internet cafe, a laptop?....................

If he has a backdoor, keylogger and spyware then opening a new account will not work........the attacker will know about it.

Change the passwords and see if the problem comes back, or is still there.........that should tell you if you have malware on the machine.

And as for the "password reminder"................your mother's maiden name was "ghengis khan" and your first schoolteacher's name was George W Bush and your favourite sport is serial killing. I think you get the picture.........if you use the correct answer, chances are that your SO will know it as well?

Nihil:

Errr.... If there's a keylogger there practically _none_ of the advice in this thread would work....

Though I do agree with leaving the account and changing the password to see if the problem remains.... Outside of that the OP needs to use a different box to do anything. If it's a keylogger they are looking at all this wonderful advice and giggling....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hi Tiger~

My point exactly....................I am assuming the OP would notice any "dongles" or new keyboards (pretty expensive over here) so I am suspecting a software device if any.

Where there has been physical access I generally go for the "textbook" solution........reformat and reinstall the operating system.
    That should work?.........from my earlier post.

Cheers

I love/hate the reformat/reinstall option.... It means the "crap" beat me....

OTOH, sometimes it is hard enough to "beat" the crap when you are sat at the box.... Once you try doing it remotely, (remote access needing a restart to safe mode, phone, email, BBS, etc.), it becomes _so_ much harder because the remote user has to be trusted to do _exactly_ what you tell them to do... and we both know that the odds of that are as good as picking the winner of the Grand National three years in succession...

While I hate using the reformat/reinstall option it's often the best option when we communicate in this medium.....

BTW... That late bottled Port sounds like fun... Know of anywhere I can get some online.... These Yanks still think a port is a place where you park boats....

Any specific year ?...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&cl...G=Search&meta=
    Google Search: late bottled Port

Hi Eg~ 1999 or before............the more previous the better

Yes Tiger~ I hear where you are coming from:

I love/hate the reformat/reinstall option.... It means the "crap" beat me
    Unfortunately, it is sometimes the cheapest and quickest solution. On our own kit or at our place of work we need to know what happened.........................otherwise we just fix it?

Cheers