Discussion forums

Thread: Discussion forums

Discussion forums

Anyone who can recommend a discussion forum? Haven't got time (nor skills I guess) to write something on my own, so a phpbb/vbullitin kind of thing would be best. I've got a nix server with sql/php/etc to host it.

Free, security and feature-rich are words that pop into mind when it comes to what's needed.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    What exactly are you asking for here? Are you soliciting reccomendations for an forum application/package to use for your own site? Are you asking someone to volunteer to build and run one for you on your "nix server with sql/php/etc"?

If you are asking for reccomendations, you really haven't given us enough info. *nix server with sql/php/etc. doesn't really paint a full picture of what you want or need.

If you are asking for someone to build one for you...isn't that a little arrogant?

/* Edit */

Ok, to answer what I assume your questions to be:

I'd recommend WordPress 1.5, with a slew of plugins. It's not a forum package, it's a ... I hate to say it ... Blog software. It's a very robust and flexible Web Log package that uses PHP and MySQL. It's open source, free, and works very well.

MoveableType is a nice one too, but it's not open source/free for more than 1 author. It also requires Perl, and doesn't do much more by default than WordPress.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Originally posted here by zencoder
    What exactly are you asking for here? Are you soliciting reccomendations for an forum application/package to use for your own site? Are you asking someone to volunteer to build and run one for you on your "nix server with sql/php/etc"?

If you are asking for reccomendations, you really haven't given us enough info. *nix server with sql/php/etc. doesn't really paint a full picture of what you want or need.

If you are asking for someone to build one for you...isn't that a little arrogant?
    Heh, alright. I'll stop posting here when I haven't got time to explain things in-depth.

I'm asking for a recommendation of a discussion board solution, a system similiar to phpbb (user friendly, eye-candy galore, admin management, etc). I guess most of these systems are kind of "universal" when it comes to system requirements but I'd be able to install/update stuff as necessary. Reason I'm not interested in continuing running with phpbb is because it's so widely used there are just too many exploits/vulnerabilities found/spread constantly. Seems like many forums went down the last couple of weeks because of not updating to 2.0.13 (which I luckily did).

Originally posted here by zencoder Ok, to answer what I assume your questions to be:

I'd recommend WordPress 1.5, with a slew of plugins. It's not a forum package, it's a ... I hate to say it ... Blog software. It's a very robust and flexible Web Log package that uses PHP and MySQL. It's open source, free, and works very well.

MoveableType is a nice one too, but it's not open source/free for more than 1 author. It also requires Perl, and doesn't do much more by default than WordPress.
    This would really have been enough as a reply, wouldn't it? I can see where you're coming from though, and I hope I can remember to spend a minute of two longer on my next post here than I did earlier today. Hope I didn't offend anyone else than you with my brutal not-that-informing post up there.
    (And I'll check up on WordPress and MoveableType, thanks).

Anyone have any pros/cons against FUDforum?

Exclamation

Did you check out Invision Power board? http://www.invisionboard.com/
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Well, sorry if it came over that rough, I just couldn't tell what you were getting at. There is a lot of that and some of us (me anyway) get a touch tired of it.

WP and MT really are Web Log packages, and the only real discussion they facilitate is in the comments unless you open it up to allow anyone to post on the Web Log. Might work, just depends on what you envision.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    LOL..

Swoosh: You are in the typical Catch 22 situation..... You use a piece of software because it is good at what it does, is easy to manage and stacked with features. But then a gazillion others use it for the same reason. Thus, because it is so widely used it becomes a target for crackers because it gives them a large "attack surface".

Chosing another system will reduce the attack surface but it will, most probably, be not as good at the task at hand, harder to manage and not have the support/features you are used to....

So what do you do? Exactly what you already do and all the rest of us do.... Keep your eye out for the exploits and patches and monitor the system for attempted breakins.... There isn;t much else you can do... If you change system to a less well known one you may be hacked and no-one, including yourself, will notice.... With the most popular software you are part of a "pack" and someone _will_ notice... probably before you are exploited... so you can mitigate against it.

Better the devil you know, (and everyone else does), than a devil no-one knows....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

First off, people shouldn't drink and surf. I can't see any possible reason (other than the entertainment for others) to give anyone access to a discussion forum while beein drunk. I honestly spent atleast two minutes trying to find the "quote" button, it's just, bah.

Originally posted here by ZT3000
    Did you check out Invision Power board? http://www.invisionboard.com/
    Yup, have a feeling it shares the same cons as phpBB though.

Originally posted here by zencoder
    Well, sorry if it came over that rough, I just couldn't tell what you were getting at. There is a lot of that and some of us (me anyway) get a touch tired of it.

WP and MT really are Web Log packages, and the only real discussion they facilitate is in the comments unless you open it up to allow anyone to post on the Web Log. Might work, just depends on what you envision.
    Quite understandable, I totally agree and even though I seemed a lil cocky in my reply to that post of yours I do take critisism and try to grow on it. I'll try to be more presice from now (like, seriously)

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    LOL..

Swoosh: You are in the typical Catch 22 situation..... You use a piece of software because it is good at what it does, is easy to manage and stacked with features. But then a gazillion others use it for the same reason. Thus, because it is so widely used it becomes a target for crackers because it gives them a large "attack surface".

Chosing another system will reduce the attack surface but it will, most probably, be not as good at the task at hand, harder to manage and not have the support/features you are used to....

So what do you do? Exactly what you already do and all the rest of us do.... Keep your eye out for the exploits and patches and monitor the system for attempted breakins.... There isn;t much else you can do... If you change system to a less well known one you may be hacked and no-one, including yourself, will notice.... With the most popular software you are part of a "pack" and someone _will_ notice... probably before you are exploited... so you can mitigate against it.

Better the devil you know, (and everyone else does), than a devil no-one knows....
    Oops, fell asleep for a minute or two. Woke up because the mobile got a little shaky on the table here (sms). Anyway, I could start writing what I think about the different points in the quote above, but I'll narrov it down; I totally agree TS. Too bad the update-report maillist seems to be a lil buggy when it comes to phpBB. Oh well, I guess that's what you have backups for

Thanks.