time for a change...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: time for a change...

time for a change...

I was wondering if anyone here could guide me towards the rightous path of how I can change my O/S from Linspire to something Windows based.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I would say switch to a Debian based Linux, but since you want to got windows there are really only two options: Win 2k or XP. If you have the Memory (256 or better to run decently) go with XP. Iím not total sure what you are asking for.

What was wrong with Linspire?
    I never used it so I do not know of its good or bad qualities.
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

There's really nothing wrong with Linspire...just that everything I would like to DL of the net seems to be windows based and most of my plug n play stuff from my last puter is win based as well. I just don't know how to wipe out the Linspire O//S completely. I think I need to do this to load up Win XP. Nor do I want to run a dual O/S. Thanks for all your help and advice.

OK, at the risk of being laughed out of the forum and flamed to hell Linspire is the best Linux distro for non-techies..............it has a very "windows" feel about it, but I can see your point about compatability.

If you set your BIOS boot sequence to put the CD before the HDD and load the WinXP CD it should prompt you for an install......................just follow the instructions. It will want to format the HDD, let it do that and chose NTFS as your file system.

Otherwise, get a Win98 boot disk, boot from it and format the HDD then run "setup" from the CD.

Before you do any of this, please check your peripheral devices, especially your CD, DVD, modem, etc to make sure that you have a WinXP driver set for them.

Otherwise you are good to go.....................

Good luck

Hey there,

Usually people shift from Windoze to Linux, why the opposite goes on here? Instead shift to another Linux distro, like SuSE, Slackeware, Mandrek or Fedora? I've recenlty shifted from Windoze to Linux, though I'm not and and experet Linux user.
    Windoze is really easy to learn, usually who can work nicely on Linux would easely learn how to deal with Linux....

Before you do any of this, please check your peripheral devices, especially your CD, DVD, modem, etc to make sure that you have a WinXP driver set for them.
    That is the most important part...
    [QUOTE]Hey there,

What was wrong with Linspire?
    I never used it so I do not know of its good or bad qualities.
    We can ask Info Tech Geek...

If we are looking for more information about Linux, We can ask Zencoder or Gore.....

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

I'm not going to try and change your mind.

So. The way i see it windows wise you have two options. Both are part of the NT part of:

Windows 2000 : Very nice O.S. stable and works like it should. I think this combined with sp4 and all the updates is ms's best os.

Windows XP either pro/home/media center: In my eyes a tuned up 2000, looks better does some extra things takes more system resources. Is still getting regular bugfixes.

--

Have fun.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

thanks to all of you for the advice. A HUGE thanks for not laughing at me!!! I actually like the Linspire O/S it's just that my router, external CD burner, and cell phone software are all Windows based ( I got all of this before my old puter crashed). However, if I'm not successful in changing my O/S around I'm just going to learn to live without all that stuff and stick with Linspire. Again I really appreciate all your feed back. Thanks...

********** |ceWriterguy
    Why would we laugh at someone who honestly wants to learn and isn't yanking our chain?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

it's just that my router, external CD burner, and cell phone software are all Windows based
    Can you give us some details( make, model, version), we may be able to help

As for being "laughed at" please do not worry............my comment was directed at certain fellow AntiOnliners who would not pass up an opportunity to "pull my chain"..................they do not realise that it is actually a decoy............I had one of those fancy low-level, lever operated devices installed a couple of months ago......

cheers