Future OSs

Thread: Future OSs

Future OSs

This has been around for a while, someone on the dated side, but I liked it. It's been laying around here for a while and I just remembered I had it a second ago. Currently I'm cleaning out some papers I've had for a while, and thinking up an idea for a new paper for when my others are finished.

Topics I'm considering for new tutorials:

Free BSD..... There are TWO tutorials about Free BSD that I've seen here, and one was by me, and both were about installation. As long as I'm a member of this place it is NOT OK.

Slackware stuff. Installation has been covered like a corporate ass. Maybe something like more types of configuration, and networking with Slackware and SUSE.

Free BSD security.

A paper I started not too long ago. I had to ask for permission from the admins here because the subject matter is VERY..... Well, it can teach you to get in trouble, so I told some admins about the paper and what I am putting in it, they didn't seem to think it would be a problem so when it's done, it will be posted, but have a little warning on it because I know it will have some things in it that can get you in trouble.

The paper I'm talking about, I named "Smashing the Human stack for fun and profit. A look at Social Engineering".

I start it off with how there is no patch for user stupidity. Of all my papers, this would probably be the best security paper I've ever done.

Hey Gore, do the one about slackware. I started using slack after I read about it in these forums (mainly you and cgkanchi ) and it rocks! Your tutorial was excellent. A tutorial about configuring and networking in slack would be a great follow up to your other tutorial.
    Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
    -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=777

I would love a slackware tutorial aswell,

one suggestion...

Getting nvidia and ati cards working under slackware using xorg ?
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Hey Gore, nice read. I can't add anything that could drive the point home better.

alamuru420123 wrote:

Hey Gore, do the one about slackware. I started using slack after I read about it in these forums (mainly you and cgkanchi ) and it rocks! Your tutorial was excellent. A tutorial about configuring and networking in slack would be a great follow up to your other tutorial.
    I installed Slackware 9 using your tutorial. It worked flawlessly as a stand alone PC, but when I connected it to a Broad Band Internet enabled network (after doing all of the Slackware security patches) it was owned in less than 30 minutes. I had a lot of trouble finding which files to edit to join it to our Windows based network. I did manage to get Apache Web server up and displaying a static "Under Construction" page. I never did get the sound to work with a Creative Sound Blaster 128 card. And after it getting owned my super user account had been changed to the point I couldn't even power it down using software. I had to manually flip the switch. As I said, it installed just fine. I originally planned on it simply serving as my own web server for me to learn PHP and Perl. I finally gave up on it and stuck the box back in the closet. I might add that I also went out and bought the $45.00 book that I can't find any more. It was written just like the Slackware web site. Very hard for me to understand and I have been computers and programming since 1980.

MoonWolf Wrote:

I would love a slackware tutorial aswell,

one suggestion...

Getting nvidia and ati cards working under slackware using xorg ?
    I also had these problems I wound up using an old 4mb S3 video card. I originally installed an ATI Rage Pro 16mb card.

Yeah man... what they said...
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

=o

Wow, OK, so far I'm pretty sure I can safely say I need to do some for Slackware.... 30 minutes, wow. I thought it was at least 45 but hey I was tired Sorry, had to throw that in, you know me.

Anyway, lol.... Any others? I guess requests can happen for this, Slackware and Free BSD are things I've been thinking about doing anyway.

My Uncle.. I woke up today,. my aunt grabbed my knee and I woke up like **** it hurt, and she told me my Uncle died a little while ago.... So it may take a little time for me to get these done but I will work on them.

I am sorry to hear of your loss man, that sucks ass. No Hurry on my part, tend to your personal matters first. As I said I stuffed it in a closet and have been robbing parts out of it ever since.

My only complaint I have ever had with Linux or any other *nix OS is its lack of documentation. And the Docs that they do provide are written by techies for techies. I can filter out most of the nerdisms (ha new word) but in order for it to ever take hold it has to be simple enough for any Luser to figure out.

Take care buddy...
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Hey Gore,

I'm sorry to hear about that. First things first, no need to rush into the tut right now. take care.

@aeallison: Actually, my biggest problem with slackware is it's incapability to handle rpms. They just don't seem to work. I've had trouble with setting up file sharing with samba but after some effort (yes, quite some effort) I could get it to work. I didn't have any trouble setting up the hardware drivers. I've got a asus m/b with nvidia and built in lan card. I just downloaded the required installation files from nvidia and they worked just great- display,audio and ethernet card. I haven't yet set up a webserver but I'll do it pretty soon.
    Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
    -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=777