Not really any new information but includes some potential topics of discussion.

http://informationweek.securitypipel...GCKHSCJUMEKJVN

edit// Sorry,the link's a little wonky. http://informationweek.securitypipeline.com and it is listed on the left under Security News. I'll try and sort the link out.

"From a staffing perspective, the cleanup usually exceeds the time it takes to handle an antivirus infection."
Trying to find out exactly what they have is a pain and half the time the uninstallers don't work.

The FTC sees two issues. First, people frequently aren't notified when spyware is placed on their computers. And second, the software they do seek comes bundled with adware they don't want because end-user licensing agreements often aren't clear. "These agreements give a patina of legitimacy by having some form of disclosure," says Tom Pahl, the FTC's assistant director for advertising practices. "But consumers often don't understand the choices they're making."
They first line of the licensing agreement could say "I'M GOING TO PUT LOTS OF CRAP ON YOUR COMPUTER WHEN YOU CLICK YES" and at least half the people would still agree because they want the product because "everyone else uses it".

End-user license agreements are a big issue. When users download a software program, they should be given a clear choice about accepting or declining other software with it. Spyware doesn't give them that choice, or does so surreptitiously.
Most of the time it's free stuff, what do they expect. It's the spyware that come just by going to a site that is a real kick in the nads.

Security vendor Symantec Corp. recently conducted a study to see how much spyware and adware finds its way onto PCs during Web surfing. Symantec monitored what types of spyware and adware glommed on to PCs while users surfed to different types of Web sites. The company spent one hour per category visiting sports, kids, gaming, news, reseller, shopping, and travel sites. It found that 468 adware applications and 10 instances of spyware were left behind on Symantec's test machine. The system also was infected with seven so-called hijackers, tiny apps that redirect users' Web browsers to unintended sites.
So please buy our new Anti-Spyware. Don't get me wrong I like Symantec.

Anti-spyware tools aren't perfect, but they help. The Denver Health & Hospital Authority expects to save more than $170,000 annually in help-desk costs by using a policy-control appliance from Blue Coat Systems Inc. to keep spyware and adware off of 4,000 PCs. "Before, we had about 200 spyware intrusions per month on each machine," chief technology officer Jeffrey Pellot says. Now the problem has been mostly eliminated, he says.
4000 x 200 = 800,000/infections per month. I'm sure all during work related activities.